Tweeter amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which board, or assembled power amp, are you guys using for tweeters. F.ex. B&G Neo3.
Preferable with gain adjustment. Is TDA7498 ok (and which PS), any better suggestions?
The easy way out is perhaps a small Nad, with pre-in, (ex 326bee) but then it's not diy : )
Will a good class D or chipamp do a better job?

A, perhaps stupid, suggestion: what about a class AB amplifier for the tweeters?
The reason: The performance weakness of a class D amplifier is the high frequencies where the THD increases importantly. Further, for the tweeter you need little power to balance the sound. So, a small high quality class AB can do the job very well with an electronic cross-over. As a suggestion, a TDA7850 based amplifier with 0.006% THD and a 12V supply.
Am I just silly here?

Ok, then state what power output do you think you will need, will save a lot of guessing.

The Neo3 can handle 20W RMS and max 40W (and is not very efficient), but a little headroom is always nice, so at least 50W as the amp I linked to.

(I have a little plan on using it as a bass-amp for small 5" woofers if it's not good enough for the tweeters soundwise. Therefore I will not go under 50W. That's plan B, but of course I would prefer to hit the target first time.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.