Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

running with no load
running with no load
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2018, 07:05 PM   #21
DreadPirate is offline DreadPirate  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't believe I had anything connected up to the amp, it was just powered with no connected load. The C34 chip was not damaged at all.
Old 14th March 2018, 02:25 AM   #22
forestsgump is offline forestsgump
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=voltwide;5370798]To clarify this problem: The output LC-tank has a resonant frequency in the range of 50 kHz. If you connect a 50kHz-signal with the input, the output of the amp sees a very low impedance of the series resonant tank. In that case
1) The voltage at the resonant cap (680nF) may rise far above supply voltage thus destructing the cap.
2) Output current exceeds limits and over-current protection trips.

But...
If you do not connect 50kHz to the input, the resonant tank is not excited../QUOTE]

What mean, if i have the op-amp input shorted, its output to TPA wld be muted, thereby no way to excite resonant frequency. Then in this case no danger at all even without load?
Old 14th March 2018, 03:18 AM   #23
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestsgump View Post

What mean, if i have the op-amp input shorted, its output to TPA wld be muted, thereby no way to excite resonant frequency. Then in this case no danger at all even without load?
Yes
Old 15th March 2018, 04:00 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
I'm a bit surprised of 1N400x's being recommended. If anything, i'd rather expect some fast-recovery diodes in those positions (since you have the several-hundred-kHz switching waveform going on, before the output filter). Something like UF400x's or MUR1x0's or something.
Quick question: on these clamp/catch fast-recovery diodes

Any reference specs suitable?
~ Peak Reverse Voltage, Maximum Current, How fast-switching?

I found some high efficiency recifier HER501~508, not sure suitable to do the job?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf her501-508.pdf (30.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th March 2018, 04:29 PM   #25
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Reverse voltage, 50-100% greater than the supply voltage; current, 1-2A should suffice, i'd reckon; switching speed, anything rated for fast switching.

Those HER50x's might be a bit overkill, actually
Old 15th March 2018, 06:07 PM   #26
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I guess the 100V type should be fine.
Old 15th March 2018, 06:12 PM   #27
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirate View Post
I don't believe I had anything connected up to the amp, it was just powered with no connected load. The C34 chip was not damaged at all.
RF ingress is a real possibility depending on what sort of input filtration you have. Shorted inputs to ground *should* obviate this concern, though. (Unless things go really badly)
Old 15th March 2018, 11:35 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Thanks these are cheap - even found some HER208 (2A1000V) are 1/3 cost of HER50x's

running with no loadHide this!Advertise here!