Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Tube system for bike
Tube system for bike
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2018, 10:32 PM   #11
astrojet is offline astrojet
diyAudio Member

Hi Iowatheoutdoorsman.

I hope this is for a Ragbrai adventure.

Anyway, I've done some long-distance bike touring with a pair of peerless fullrange (I think these Peerless by Tymphany 830987 3" Full Range Woofer) mounted in individual boxes and driven by a Fostex solid state amp powered by some lithium-ion batteries that I use for night riding lights as well. Higher power amps that would run from batteries are now ubiquitous. My source is usually a Shanling M1 DAP. With speakers that small, thin and lightweight cabinets are okay.

At the end of the day, you can pull them off of the rack and throw them in the tent or around a campfire.

If I were looking for something more and to sing for a whole peloton, I'd think about something omni-directional.
Old 18th February 2018, 09:15 AM   #12
forestsgump is offline forestsgump
diyAudio Member

why not just get a al-cheapo BT mono speaker, or the TWS BT stereo speaker?

provide good space, cost efficiency + reasonable batt life + reasonable sound vol.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:24 PM   #13
iowatheoutdoorsman is offline iowatheoutdoorsman  United States
diyAudio Member

I got this idea when I went on the Brr Ride here in Iowa the first week of February. I saw probably 5 or 6 bikes with this type of system set up and strapped to there bikes. I did some more searching and found this link. I am guessing it is where they got the idea from.
Build a Bike Boom Box: 13 Steps (with Pictures)
Old 20th February 2018, 08:25 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrojet View Post
Hi Iowatheoutdoorsman.

I hope this is for a Ragbrai adventure.

Anyway, I've done some long-distance bike touring with a pair of peerless fullrange (I think these Peerless by Tymphany 830987 3" Full Range Woofer) mounted in individual boxes and driven by a Fostex solid state amp powered by some lithium-ion batteries that I use for night riding lights as well. Higher power amps that would run from batteries are now ubiquitous. My source is usually a Shanling M1 DAP. With speakers that small, thin and lightweight cabinets are okay.

At the end of the day, you can pull them off of the rack and throw them in the tent or around a campfire.

If I were looking for something more and to sing for a whole peloton, I'd think about something omni-directional.
This will be for Ragbrai. I will take a look at the links and info you posted. Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:04 AM   #15
bitSmasher is offline bitSmasher  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
Bike based audio not the best idea in the world IMO.
pretty good idea if you want to play music on the move - especially with a crowd rolling with you
Old 25th February 2018, 08:06 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I am thinking about this amp and this for my bluetooth.Trying to keep cost down yet sound great. I am thinking I may build a box for this instead of the tube so my speakers will take advantage of stereo sound instead of speakers pointing in the opposite direction. What would be a good power supply for this amp? I need something that would last all day.
Old 26th February 2018, 05:11 AM   #17
Nenola is offline Nenola  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatheoutdoorsman View Post
I am thinking about this amp and this for my bluetooth.Trying to keep cost down yet sound great. I am thinking I may build a box for this instead of the tube so my speakers will take advantage of stereo sound instead of speakers pointing in the opposite direction. What would be a good power supply for this amp? I need something that would last all day.
That's over 30$ for those items, not really cost effective because you can get similar specs in one product and cheaper like this:

TPA3116D2 120Wx2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

or this:

TDA7492P AUX 50W*2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

Those don't have potentiometer for volume control, but it isn't necessary, because the source almost always has it.

For speakers you wan't to have something with high sensitivity to extend battery life, so you can forger about car speakers like in that other project. They usually are below 90db sensitivity. I din't know what kind of drivers you can get your hands on, but for example Visaton makes quite good (and cheap ) full ranges. I have BG-17's in one boombox and they really sound great. You don't get the lowest notes with them, but otherwise loud and clean.

Last edited by Nenola; 26th February 2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 27th February 2018, 10:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenola View Post
That's over 30$ for those items, not really cost effective because you can get similar specs in one product and cheaper like this:

TPA3116D2 120Wx2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

or this:

TDA7492P AUX 50W*2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

Those don't have potentiometer for volume control, but it isn't necessary, because the source almost always has it.

For speakers you wan't to have something with high sensitivity to extend battery life, so you can forger about car speakers like in that other project. They usually are below 90db sensitivity. I din't know what kind of drivers you can get your hands on, but for example Visaton makes quite good (and cheap ) full ranges. I have BG-17's in one boombox and they really sound great. You don't get the lowest notes with them, but otherwise loud and clean.
Thanks a lot for the links to the amps. Those seem like they would do exactly what I want. I will have a look at the speakers you suggested *** well.
Old 28th February 2018, 01:21 PM   #19
Think is online now Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Tube system for bike
If you want any bass from the system I can advice you to go for a 2.1 system as you need a lot more bass outdoors compared to indoors. Many 2.1 computer speakers work with an (12v) dc adapter and can be used with batteries. You could just upgrade the amp and recycle an old 2.1 set.

Making something like this yourself which you can use at home or at other outdoor activities is more fun. (6.5" / 8"car sub and 2 small full range/broadband or 2 way speakers)
I would go for a separate bluetooth module as you can use the aux as well and can upgrade/replace later without buying a whole new amp. There are also lots of noise issues with boards with onboard bluetooth.

A great 2.1 board is TPA3116 2.1 50Wx2+100W Amplifier Board Digital Power 12-24V Super Bass Speaker | eBay I have 2 of them and love them; sound great, powerfull, no mods needed, low idle power (<1W) and has a variable crossover for the sub.

Mounting your sub at the end of a pvc pipe/cylinder is fine but don't do that with the tops as you will get the most nasty baffle step reflections.
And don't use car speakers for the tops as most of them they like big volumes.

I'm making a HQ portable system myself and use 2 Visaton FRS 8M (€10 Thoman.de) and a Dayton Audio PTmini-6 planar tweeters and a simple 5kHz x-over from ebay for each top. ((all)tweeters have much better detail and dispersion then a fullrange/broadband driver) and a 8" jbl gto804 car sub. The (test)sound is great and loud. I have to make final enclosures for them and fix the battery pack.
Old 28th February 2018, 09:18 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
If you want any bass from the system I can advice you to go for a 2.1 system as you need a lot more bass outdoors compared to indoors. Many 2.1 computer speakers work with an (12v) dc adapter and can be used with batteries. You could just upgrade the amp and recycle an old 2.1 set.

Making something like this yourself which you can use at home or at other outdoor activities is more fun. (6.5" / 8"car sub and 2 small full range/broadband or 2 way speakers)
I would go for a separate bluetooth module as you can use the aux as well and can upgrade/replace later without buying a whole new amp. There are also lots of noise issues with boards with onboard bluetooth.

A great 2.1 board is TPA3116 2.1 50Wx2+100W Amplifier Board Digital Power 12-24V Super Bass Speaker | eBay I have 2 of them and love them; sound great, powerfull, no mods needed, low idle power (<1W) and has a variable crossover for the sub.

Mounting your sub at the end of a pvc pipe/cylinder is fine but don't do that with the tops as you will get the most nasty baffle step reflections.
And don't use car speakers for the tops as most of them they like big volumes.

I'm making a HQ portable system myself and use 2 Visaton FRS 8M (10 Thoman.de) and a Dayton Audio PTmini-6 planar tweeters and a simple 5kHz x-over from ebay for each top. ((all)tweeters have much better detail and dispersion then a fullrange/broadband driver) and a 8" jbl gto804 car sub. The (test)sound is great and loud. I have to make final enclosures for them and fix the battery pack.
Thanks a lot for the detailed post. I would like some bass in this thing. I am going to search out your suggestions on speakers. I decided not to build this in a tube. I am going to make a box as small as I can and leave enough room for everything to fit. The board you suggest looks like a good one. Thanks for the tip on the noise with onboard bluetooth. I read a lot of reviews of guys talking about the noise. I am a noob at this stuff so I do have a question or two. What is the 5kHz x-over used for and is this it? Also what are you going to use for a battery pack? Are these the tweeters? Those things look small which is good. I want to keep the box small.

Tube system for bikeHide this!Advertise here!