Power chip amp with cordless power tool battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You don't want that 5v thing. For a Dewalt 20v battery search eBay for D20-PD. It's basically the same thing that nanoloop suggested but wrapped up in a nice 3D printed slide-on holder. Be sure to use a fuse with it.

My assumption is that the Dewalt battery has a BMS built into it which will prevent over-discharge. Maybe someone here can confirm. Add an eBay 2 wire 30v LED voltmeter (about a buck) so you can keep an eye on the level of charge.

Last edited:
You don't want that 5v thing. For a Dewalt 20v battery search eBay for D20-PD. It's basically the same thing that nanoloop suggested but wrapped up in a nice 3D printed slide-on holder. Be sure to use a fuse with it.

My assumption is that the Dewalt battery has a BMS built into it which will prevent over-discharge. Maybe someone here can confirm. Add an eBay 2 wire 30v LED voltmeter (about a buck) so you can keep an eye on the level of charge.

It has a BMS, but without an overdischarge system, this one is on the tool.

Last edited:
BTW, that the board I mentioned in the previous post is NOT suitable for controlling / limiting the charging of the Dewalt battery as it is designed to simply open the relay once the programmed upper limit is reached. That's ok for a lead-acid battery but not a Li-ion pack.

I only suggested the eBay board as a means to limit the discharge, in this case probably to somewhere around 16v - it's up to you to program that discharge limit to the appropriate and safe value.

You should remove the battery and use a proper Dewalt charger for charging.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.