Non-engineering somewhat cheap Class D Powerhouse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Curious - any links / thoughts on building a (Hypex?) based amplifier that is able to dish out 2000 watts (or thereabouts) in a .5 to 1 Ohm configuration for driving ribbons directly?

There are several on the market that can do this (albeit unadvertised) which requires some trickery, for example Spectron Musician amps can do it but they go into thermal protection since they are passively cooled (a fan fixes this) but I'm interested in something budget, that I can build myself w/ no engineering degree.

Like - Could a Hypex module do it but with a really huge power supply? I'd like to keep the project under $3K stereo if possible, sans chassis.

What about the UCD2K module and their SMPS3K kit? Low impedance capable and up to 50 amps of current? I don't see a ton about them being used on this forum, but what I have found is that they get super hot and need adequate cooling. But could it work and sound good?

I see more about NCORE and not UCD. I see terminology of "fullbridge"? What does it all mean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.