HK HS500 - power and other measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good Morning..

Just do be sure that i haven´t implemented an error in my amp.

I got no answer in this thread about the caps:
Is ST FFX the same as DDX ?

actually i know that 50v is correct value but about capacity...
i changed the old caps 1000µF/50V to bigger 3300µF/50V audio (nichicon UFW1H332MHD)

Is it better to have at the same size more capacity or is it the better to have a cap with low Esr witch is used in e.g. in a SMPS?

thanks for your help

....now i have time to ask...

actually i am searching for the way how the signal is gooing thru the amp via coax in.

coax in --- to 74HC158Quad 2-input multiplexer -- chip AML3278 (GPIO) What s that for a chip --- and then it should go to the DDX8001 and then ---- to the amp DDX2160.

actually i didnt find the complete way how it goes ...:(

link for the service manual:
Download Harman-Kardon HS 500 Owner's Manual

here are the attachments : the relevant schematics i found

thx

Attachments

• coaxin_HS-500.pdf
    429.7 KB · Views: 59
  • schematic_94_96_HS-500.pdf
    738.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Block diagram_HS-500.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 90
Load Box non inductive ready

hi

actually my test load box is ready::)

i used an old case from a 10 euro Teac CDP 3000.
i mount this Resistors 8 ohms /50W in
katur 4 50 W 8 Ohm-LED Laden Widerstande fur LED Blinker Licht oder LED License Plate Beleuchtung oder DRL (Fix Hyper Flash, Warnung cancellor) mit 8 Schnelle Draht Clip: Amazon.de: Auto

because of too less heatsink i have to mount fans. i used this:
Axiallufter 12 V/DC 149.4 m3/h (L x B x H) 120 x 120 x 25 mm ADDA AD1212HB-A70GL
13 euro each
...i tried with 2x 4ohm lines (not directly as neighbor) 30min at max and the buttom plate directly under the resistors gets 69 °c....so it ok.:D
..other pic you will find in the posts before....post 1 pic 2...

so the amps could be tested now !:cool:

cu
chris

Attachments

• R_Loadbox_rear.jpg
    R_Loadbox_rear.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 98
  • R_Loadbox_top.jpg
    R_Loadbox_top.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Good Morning..

Just do be sure that i haven´t implemented an error in my amp.

I got no answer in this thread about the caps:
Is ST FFX the same as DDX ?

actually i know that 50v is correct value but about capacity...
i changed the old caps 1000µF/50V to bigger 3300µF/50V audio (nichicon UFW1H332MHD)

Is it better to have at the same size more capacity or is it the better to have a cap with low Esr witch is used in e.g. in a SMPS?

thanks for your help

...bump it up....

Hello again

I did some tests about OCP of thsi chip set. Is it normal that after OCP happend is some cases you can push the volume up?

As you can see at my yyesterdays night session (really short) i have the situation that at max power ( I =1,8 per channel) the ocp is not allowing to switch up...that ok for my understanding. At the current beloww e.g. I out = 1,3Ampere after OCP is acting you can push the volume up.
generally i found that the ocp is shuting down at about 70% of the set current ...is this calculated.

:headbash:
thanks for your help:)

Attachments

• HS500_OCP.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
...frequency response at 4 ohm..

After listening test on different speakers i will recommend to do not use 4 ohm impedance speakers but stetp by step:

I bought this device (second hand as defect for 40euro) to try to get this alive and start with diy ....this all in one amp is sold at 2007 2008 in different countries. after bring the SMPS to live and change all caps on the power amp board and additionaly I changed the input caps at the input board all functions are working the DVD, Tuner and the amp is working.

after the strange SMPS behavior (other thread) ...maybe after burn in ...:D....its fully working.:)
...klick klack at SMPS ??...urgent!

Stereo mode (Surround is not tested)
the sound is clear and the power is for home use more than you need on small speakers. the sound is clear, less bass and not really deep in room holographic...not bad for some kids room ;) the HS500 amp is recommended for 6 ohms speakers.

as written above the bass is really weak so my recommondation is for free standing speakers (KEF Q100, Sonus Faber 1.5, FR horn sepakers) set up the bass in the OSD at 4db or max 6db). the sound is not as good as an "old" Class AB amp eg. T+A2000 or an AVR from denon (e.g. 1803 or for sure not as my Arcam AVR390)...all avr are bi amping and bi wiring mode

souuround mode:
I read some remarks at the dynamic setup (minimum, medium, maximum) in sourround mode: the manual and the OSD show different names: i remember that is called dynamic range . minimum means no cahnges maximum dinamic range at low level listening.

Why i am not able to get more power like post 1 (e.g. 2,6ampere/ at 4ohms) i am not really sure what happend.... ????

thanks for your attention...i will finish this device...the kids have the small HS200 and waiting the get the "big one" :D

special thanks to EVA :wave:

cu
chris

Attachments

• HS500_frequency_at 4ohm.pdf
    54.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
...really the last...

pic 1 how i measure the OUT + Voltage
pic 2 20hz
pic 3 clipping

this documents are the final "protocolls" :D

...thx

Attachments

• HS500_4_OCP.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 45
  • HS500 8 Ohm frequency response.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 49
  • HS500 4 Ohm frequency response.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 35
  • HS500 clipping at 200hz.jpg
    HS500 clipping at 200hz.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 75
  • HS500_20Hertz.jpg
    HS500_20Hertz.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 80
  • HS500_ frequency response.jpg
    HS500_ frequency response.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 83
  • HS500_8_OCP.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 36
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.