What Can I Build That is Better than Store Bought for Same Price?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recently discovered class d and find it very interesting both for the sound quality and the compactness and efficiency.

I was close to buying a commercial product with a class D amplifier such as the NAD integrated amplifier and DAC model C 328 for $550, which features a Hypex UcD amplifier and is rated for 50 watts RMS per channel. I then discovered that Hypex sells parts and one can build it yourself. I also discovered the nCore is supposed to be better to some degree than UcD. However, nCore both as parts and finished commercial products seems much more expensive than I would be willing to spend. Also, buying a simple product like the NAD and getting me up and running is very appealing. I also won't require an expensive pre-amp with pro-audio high voltage outputs / XLR.For a time I was even considering a Crown XLS Drive Core 2 series amplifier and going pro-audio. The NAD product would be a simple easy solution.

I discovered the following class d chips and looked for them in commercial finished products: Tripath (no longer being made?), Texas Instruments (good?), Hypex (UcD and nCore), ICEpower (less expensive than nCore?). However, I seemed the most impressed with Hypex.

What I'm wondering is what can I build and what benefits would I have over buying a finished product such as the NAD with the Hypex UcD? If I build a power amp I would still need to buy a pre-amplifier / DAC unit and factor that into the cost as well.

I found these websites:
DIYClassD.com (browse but can't buy?)
Hypex Electronics webshop (the current store?)
Hypex Electronics B.V. (for wholesale / OEM only?)

The model that might be an option for me would be the UcD180HG with HxR.

I'm just not sure how much a difference the HxR makes or how much a difference the newer nCore makes. Also, is this UcD180HG with HxR module one or two channels, so do I buy one or two? I saw the nCore400 seems to be sold in single channels so you need two.

Also, I plan on using whatever I buy just for bookshelf speakers at my desk in a small room and also for watching blu-ray movies at close distance.

I can sometimes be convinced to spend a lot of money on more expensive things, but I have to see the great value. Also, I don't really have a way to hear the difference between any of these things. I don't even have a way to test UcD vs. a classic class A/B type amp found in a Yamaha S-301 which I was considering getting.

I currently use JBL Studio 530 speakers, but I would also consider using the Klipsch Reference Premiere bookshelf speakers because I like the idea of high sensitivity speakers. I've heard they create very low distortion. There is also a new version of the Klipsch Reference Premiere bookshelf speakers coming out in August 2018 which will have a ported tweeter to soften the highs. I'm not sure if that is good or bad for my tastes.

I've calculated that with the Klipsch to listen at 80db I would only need 5 watts of power and with less sensitive speakers like the JBL I would need roughly ten times that at 50 watts of power.

I am totally new to this, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Thank You.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
In approximate order of price, high to low:
Hypex (yes, they are mono boards)
Classdaudio.com (stereo boards)
Connexelectronic.com
L15d pro boards and variants (designed by LJM but boards are made and assembled by vendors, so quality of parts and soldering can be questions, but in general good reviews)

HiFimediy.com

I have not listened to all of these boards. General reviews suggest the sounds quality follows the same order as price. However, these reviews also suggest "the difference between x and y is small" rather than board x that costs 4 times board y sounds a lot better.

Pay attention to power supply. It may cost more than the amplifier. Hypex, ClassDaudio and Connex have good power supplies, cheap eBay ones are risky.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.