TPA3250 somebody is listening?

There is a very unexciting online shop for TI parts, called the TIstore. Every other week they offer free shipping and other discounts and most Ebay sellers have higher sellingprices, because everybody knows cheap offers are fake :)
TIstore is boring.

yes....the LM317 looks not original :);)

Attachments

• FX502pro_inside_LM317 and coils.jpg
    FX502pro_inside_LM317 and coils.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 460
TI store (free shipping at the moment, no discount code entered)
Order Summary
Edit >
LME49720NA/NOPB (2)
$5.36
Subtotal:
$5.36
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Total (USD):
$5.36

Ebay link from few posts back:
GENUINE LME49720NA Texas Instruments Dual OpAmp Audiophile; TI LME49720 DIP-8
Condition:
New
Item price:
$3.45
Quantity:
$6.90

Shipping cost
+ $6.25

Subtotal (2 items):
$6.90
Shipping to XXXX:
$6.25

Total:
$13.15

Problem is, TI doesn't tell you the LME is genuine, mmm, very difficult to make the boring choice :D

Received today 502spro. First impression: sound really very good, definitely better than Breeze audio double tpa3116.
But after install LME49720NA sound became even much better, amazing!

One thing - it very hot even at low sound volume. Very small heatsink. I guess it's need make holes and install bigger heatsink.
Two big capacitors too closely with heatsink and also hot. So replace of heatsink required, or there will be a big boom one day.

rev.3
lm317.jpg

Last edited:
TI store (free shipping at the moment, no discount code entered)
Order Summary
Edit >
LME49720NA/NOPB (2)
$5.36
Subtotal:
$5.36
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Total (USD):
$5.36

Ebay link from few posts back:
GENUINE LME49720NA Texas Instruments Dual OpAmp Audiophile; TI LME49720 DIP-8
Condition:
New
Item price:
$3.45
Quantity:
$6.90

Shipping cost
+ $6.25

Subtotal (2 items):
$6.90
Shipping to XXXX:
$6.25

Total:
$13.15

Problem is, TI doesn't tell you the LME is genuine, mmm, very difficult to make the boring choice :D

Do you have a link to the opamp at shop.ti.com? I can't find it searching for LME49720NA?

Received today 502spro. First impression: sound really very good, definitely better than Breeze audio double tpa3116.
But after install LME49720NA sound became even much better, amazing!

One thing - it very hot even at low sound volume. Very small heatsink. I guess it's need make holes and install bigger heatsink.
Two big capacitors too closely with heatsink and also hot. So replace of heatsink required, or there will be a big boom one day.

rev.3
View attachment 676085

Hi noasds

actually the BB2134 is "burn in" (with the psu from amp 1) and on the weekend i will give you a sound impression.

can you make some pics from your amp to compare the photos....? maybe then its clearer.......or not :D

chris

rev.3
View attachment 676085

I have to check my temperatur situation but in generally the efficiency at low power out is less than 70-80% , e.g. BTL ...look at about 1W ouput @ 25°C ambient Temperature !

page 10, chapter 7.9 Ti datasheet TPA3250

chris

Attachments

• efficiency_TPA3250.JPG
    efficiency_TPA3250.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 470
here is the overview of different housings

1 PDIP is the good old housing - as you have it in the FX502S
2 SOIC is for SMD
3 To99 is the metall round housing - if you want to try this check the internet for a DIP adapter = DIP 8 socket, as you have it in the FX502

chris

Attachments

• LM49720_housing.JPG
    LM49720_housing.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 455
The board:
1.jpg
It's worth replacing NE5532 with LME49720 for better sound
2.jpg
Capacitors too close with heatsink, no room between. Who is that ingenious developer who decided to dissipate heat to the capacitors? It is because they are aluminum... maybe he thought
3.jpg

When the cover is open, the board is not very hot sure, but when the casing is closed I think the amplifier will not last long.

Last edited:
PCB is heatsink for tpa3250, the purple thing is basicly there because you want to see heatsink, it could also affect performance in a bad way, I think doctormord spent some time changing heatsink on 3251/55 to reduce negative impact.
That doesn't mean you will hear an improvement, because worse performance is what some will prefer, for the (purple) heatsink, for high speed dip opamps, for the aircore inductors, for many things.

hi noasds

can you check the temp with a temparature measurment tool?

1 check if you have thermal paste under the heatsink
2 mount a bigger heatsink= more fans = more surface for cooling
3 contact the heatsink with a diy construction :D
to the alu case - avoid electrical contact to the TPA3250 !
4 drill holes on the top and buttom case where the chip is mounted on the pcb = to get better air flow

if i did a long sound ssession with my not mod amp1 a check the cass on the top it was slightly more the hand warm. so i have to investigate on the weekend to check the temperature at my amps.

PCB is heatsink for tpa3250, the purple thing is basicly there because you want to see heatsink, it could also affect performance in a bad way, I think doctormord spent some time changing heatsink on 3251/55 to reduce negative impact.
That doesn't mean you will hear an improvement, because worse performance is what some will prefer, for the (purple) heatsink, for high speed dip opamps, for the aircore inductors, for many things.

any link?

do you mean "vibration" or the thermal dissapation with a better K/W heatsink?