TPA3250 somebody is listening?

Thanks for the review @KaffiMann!

I too recently got the FX502SPRO. I agree, it seems to have better sound than the TPA3116 units I have (single-chip Breeze and dual-chip Nobsound). It has a much better noise floor than the un-modified Breeze/Nobsound (although I was able to improve them with the gain mod).

It has more and fuller bass. It has a lower noise floor than an unmodified TPA3116. For the price, which is not much more than the TPA3116 once you add in a power supply, I think this is a no-brainer to buy instead. I'd recommend it.

KaffiMann and I agree. See what I said in these two posts above. I think it beats the TPA3116 in every part of the range, but the biggest advantages are probably in the better and fuller bass and lower noise floor.

My impression of the TPA3255 is that in particular in the bass it has a very precise "punch" and very good control of my bass drivers at very low frequencies. For higher frequencies, I would need an A<>B test to describe the differences with TPA3116.

My TPA3255 board has got two huge 3900uF Elna capacitors for decoupling of the supply line and on top I have extra 10000uF external of the board. That may be a help to the really good bass performance.

I only have three small remarks to the FX502SPRO amplifier implementation:
1) It is sold with a 24V/4A (96W) power supply. That is fine with 8 Ohm speakers but not sufficient for 4 Ohm speakers.
2) I can see two power line decoupling capacitors of not enormous physical size. Do they add up to around 10000uF?
3) Air coils do not saturate but how much noise do they emit? OK, the metallic cabinet may shield somewhat.

Last edited:
Irrebeo:
How are you able to claim the numbers are equal?
TPA3116 pages 8 to 10, the chips are peaking at THD 0,2-0,3% from 4khz to almost 10khz. THD+N at any power 0,1% or more. 20 watts can give as much as 0,5% THD+N

TPA3250 page 10, peaking distortion at THD 0,05% at 6khz on 40watts output power, a hair over 0,01% at 10 watts. If you stick to less than 30 watts you will have a really sweet sounding amp for hardly any money at all. THD+N from 1-30 watts is less than 0,003%.

Fauxfrench:
I agree the bundled PSU is a bit small. But it is not an issue for me, it is perfect for the FR units I am using it with, not possible to wreck anything, even for eager 7 year old fingers that want dance videos on youtube. Because the protection kicks in. (Not that they have been anywhere near the limit of the protection though)

Last edited:
Why would the datasheet noiselevel be close to the same ?
(Datasheet noiselevel 3255 is a little higher than 3116)

There is a little difference in bass, in most applications I think. Doctormord might have shown why bass sounds a little different, 31xx have dominant 3rd harmonic in bass area, 32xx dominant 2nd harmonic, but I don't know if all surrounding parts were equal, coils etc.

Datasheets are usually just for the chip, not for the whole system when assembled. Many of the 3116 boards or full units have very high gains set, thus have higher noise floors. This is something you can hear easily if you compare the two.

Related to this, I've done the gain-lowering mod on my 3116 amps and it lowers the noise floor a lot. That too says it isn't inherent to the chip, but it certainly makes a huge difference in practice.

My impression of the TPA3255 is that in particular in the bass it has a very precise "punch" and very good control of my bass drivers at very low frequencies. For higher frequencies, I would need an A<>B test to describe the differences with TPA3116.

yeah, that to me is the crux, once you need to do A-B testing to determine a difference, the difference is therefore minute, and hence dare I say trivial.

And I did get one of these 3250 amps, hooked it up to my main system, (this is comparing to a Breeze Audio TPA3116 btw.) sounded fine, I thought, maybe I should set up an A-B switch, and then upon reflection of the steps involved I thought, no I don't.
I will probably do some A-B listening just out of idle curiosity, but I don't expect any epiphanies.

It's not like it's the magical unicorn of class D amps. If, for some reason, you are expecting fairy dust to emerge from your speakers, then maybe you need to change something else.

From the sub-$75 pre-built amplifiers, this does seem to be the best I've heard. Is there anything better in this low price range?

It sounds clearly better than the Nobsound dual-chip and Breeze single-chip TPA3116 units I have. The noise of the SMSL SA-98E TDA7498E made me send it right back. Moreover it sounds better than my vintage NAD amp and my Chinese tube amp which costs much more.

Is there a sub-$100 pre-built (not just boards for this comparison) amp that sounds better?

P.S. I'd be very interested in comparisons with the Yamaha R-S202 as well, since that can be had for ~$120)

Thanks KaffiMann, I was trying to build on what you were saying.

In a practical sense, what is the current best sub $100 pre-built amp? My guess is it is a Class D. I'd also guess it is the TPA-series. I'd want to test that against other inexpensive amps though. I think this is a very interesting question. It is one the Class D forum is probably created to discuss.

Just replaced my LME49720NA in the FX502SPRO with the LME49720HA (metal can TO-99) version, cost 29$ off an american ebay vendor, vs 12$ for the regular DIP8. Was a little difficult to get wedged into the socket, and I'm still not 100% confident its secure, I may have to solder it in later (is this recommended?) My impressions: First of all, the LME49720 was a big improvement over the crappy NE5532 the amp ships with. As for the metal can version, initial impression is there is definitely a difference. highs seem clearer, however mids seem a bit more muffled/recessed. It does sound airier, maybe the highs sound so much better that the mids seem less. I do go after a more flat/detailed/natural profile and these LME49720 seems to be where its at for that sound. I would consider trying other opamps but most of the really good ones are SOIC only anyway.

Just replaced my LME49720NA in the FX502SPRO with the LME49720HA (metal can TO-99) version, cost 29$ off an american ebay vendor, vs 12$ for the regular DIP8. Was a little difficult to get wedged into the socket, and I'm still not 100% confident its secure, I may have to solder it in later (is this recommended?) My impressions: First of all, the LME49720 was a big improvement over the crappy NE5532 the amp ships with. As for the metal can version, initial impression is there is definitely a difference. highs seem clearer, however mids seem a bit more muffled/recessed. It does sound airier, maybe the highs sound so much better that the mids seem less. I do go after a more flat/detailed/natural profile and these LME49720 seems to be where its at for that sound. I would consider trying other opamps but most of the really good ones are SOIC only anyway.

thx for your experence.

locked :D

I own a pair of MA9 Monitor Audio speakers, 8 Ohms, recommended amplifier 10-60W. Which one should I buy: FX-AUDIO FX1002A or FX502SPRO? First is 80 USD, second 70 USD, so its not much a difference. I often listen very quietly, that I hear my clock ticking on the wall, so the new ampifier must run good at low volumes.

It's not a rumor though. We're talking the same silicon in multiple different packages. The 4562 is the 49720. And the 49860 is the same chip, but binned for low leakage and rated for 44V rail-to-rail operation. That's it.

The metal package *might* have a bit better dissipation but what else? So, especially in a buffer situation feeding what is a pretty high impedance load (the input of the 3250), I cannot see what benefit you'd see swapping between the DIP8/SOIC8/TO99.