TI TPA3255EVM

Had some initial problems with high pitched noise and some static background noise as well, this occurred while running the TPA3245EVM on a 19V laptop SMPS. Then I switched to my Meanwell SP-150-27 and the problems have been gone ever since. Now the amplifier is as quiet as it gets, there is still some static but you have to press your ear all the way up to the tweeter to be able to hear it.

Because reality isn't dead quit (for life). ;)

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Getting close! My OCD forced me to remove one of the three molex wires and move the red/black to match + and - pins on the board.

That looks very nice indeed. You seem to be someone who likes dynamics and if you use a fair ammount of the power of the amp, heat has to be dissipated.
But you need airflow or air exchange for actual cooling and the enclosure does not seem to have any ventilation. Slots at the sides and a small fan on the back sucking the air out will improve the cooling a lot.

Edit: Just realized you've posted which enclosure you're using. Well, it got slots on the top, does it have also slots on the bottom? Air exchange could still be a problem at high power if the slots are only on the top.

Last edited:
That looks very nice indeed. You seem to be someone who likes dynamics and if you use a fair ammount of the power of the amp, heat has to be dissipated.
But you need airflow or air exchange for actual cooling and the enclosure does not seem to have any ventilation. Slots at the sides and a small fan on the back sucking the air out will improve the cooling a lot.

Edit: Just realized you've posted which enclosure you're using. Well, it got slots on the top, does it have also slots on the bottom? Air exchange could still be a problem at high power if the slots are only on the top.

Yes, there are slots on the bottom as well. The PS is currently attached flush with the bottom, but I plan on adding small spacers, as it it right above slots.

Mike

Received mine today (in DK), placed order 5 days ago, 50% and free shipping. Its amazing to follow Fedex Tracking, 30 hours ago package was in Indianapolis. But they missed the originally announced delivery time by a whole hour (too early)!:)

But: I can't find LRS-350-48 anywhere in EU (also not Mouser, not tme.eu), I contacted Mouser and they said it was US government export restrictions. Mouser have the 24V, but not 48V or 36V. Very strange.... I wonder if I can be sure that one from China, like this, is genuine? Or is there something else with the same or better specs at a reasonable price (must be as noise-free, low standby power, low ripple etc)? Thanks

Thanks globalplayer:) If it will take 2-3 weeks anyway I'm leaning towards the aliexpress one, its only 30 euros with shipping. Joker is whether customs or not and the risk of it failing.

It would be fantastic with some comparisons of different supplies, I'm also in doubt about the voltage

Hobbyhifiladen - Lautsprecher, Verstarker, Komponenten & Service
The owner said he had the LRS-350-48 already ordered and they will be back in stock in 2 weeks time (January).
Old price has been EUR 48,80.
I went for the 36 V though (can`t wait).

At first I also wanted the 48 V for my Sure tamps (because 8R, more power) but it wasn`t in stock anymore. Then I ordered the 36 V which has proven to be the right choice.
As I experimented with voltages the tamp was sounding not as smooth and a little "harsh" with like 40 V so I went back to 36 V.

Thanks. It seems Mean Well is in fact made in China (I know they're based in Taiwan), and based on their feedback on aliexpress (in general, not just this model) it does not seem improbable that genuine ones are finding their way to aliexpress. To me at least. However I won't take the risk

You guys might want to check whether Arrow Electronics will ship the Mean Well power supplies to you. I got mine from them - great price and free overnight shipping. (I ordered the P/S and maybe $15 worth of misc small parts; the way they packaged it up for shipping was so over the top elaborate that they had to have lost money on the transaction.) Their website says they're a global provider. arrow.com

You guys might want to check whether Arrow Electronics will ship the Mean Well power supplies to you. I got mine from them - great price and free overnight shipping. (I ordered the P/S and maybe $15 worth of misc small parts; the way they packaged it up for shipping was so over the top elaborate that they had to have lost money on the transaction.) Their website says they're a global provider. arrow.com

They are also running a 10% off sale, got it shipped for $30.

Ok so any suggestions for a diagnosis appreciated. I have connected up one of my amps on the bench, with the connex 800w smps. This smps is supposed to be a very quiet one.

Works fine but i get a bit of hum/noise from the speakers. Drastically reduced, but still present, if i touch the heatsink of the EVM. Im hoping that the aluminium wall im putting around the psu will help, if this is a psu interference issue.