Modifing a Lab Gruppen FP series clone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well, I have to second that. Not only burnt/flaming boards because of too thin copper layers and wires etc are a problem, the capacitors in the cheap knock-offs are sometimes extremely dangerous. Way too low specs regarding voltage, temperature and especally bad ESR lead to sudden heat increase - even if the amp worked fine up to that point - which makes them expand rapidly. (read: explode. and no, that's not an exaggeration).

Aside that, the FPs sound excellent. What changes in sound do you expect by saying "sound more liver"? That says everything and nothing at the same time. :rolleyes:

Test-swap the FP clone with another amp and compare if it really sounds better. If it doesn't, I'd suggest you modify your DSP settings, EQ and limiters change a lot of the sound. And before you do that, you should check if it's really the amp and not the input which lacks in sound quality, what bad mixers and compressed sources destroy in quality can't be brought back by any amplifier or speakers. How does your signal chain looks like? From source to speakers include everything please.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ICG I am using a cheap USB DAC ES9023P

This is how i currently run
DAC>FP14000>18inch Speakers

Ah, yes. 18in speakers. Yes, that explains EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:
Fullrange, subwoofer or whatever or is there anything else involved besides the 18"? ;) If they got a very high impedance in the high range then that's maybe the reason.

I tested with my Diyed AB amplifier which has no input states so it sound more Liver

Well, what do you mean by 'Liver'? You've been asked that several times before, I will not continue if you just repeat that nonexplanationary, nonsensical term (you surely don't mean the organ.. do you? :boggled:) once again.

"no input states so it sound more Liver."

could you explain what you are saying here in different terms?

I mean no input stages means no internal pre amplifier. I tested even with 2 inch floor standing speaker it transparent and smooth. Bought that amp for subwoofer use.

For my hifi Deejing my system is:
18inch speaker for below for 30hz to 150hz
10inch woofer for 150hz to 400hz
I am currently using 2inch speaker for 400hz to 2khz
Silk dome tweeter for 2khz and above
The crossover Music player software Jriver Media centre.

Well, what do you mean by 'Liver'? You've been asked that several times before, I will not continue if you just repeat that nonexplanationary, nonsensical term (you surely don't mean the organ.. do you? :boggled:) once again.

What do i mean the term "more live"? If you connect like this than it is less live DAC>Crossover>Amplifier>Speakers than connecting like this DAC>Amplifier>Speaker

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I mean no input stages means no internal pre amplifier. I tested even with 2 inch floor standing speaker it transparent and smooth. Bought that amp for subwoofer use.

The subwoofer amp will not change the 'live' character of the sound at all. What do you want?

More highs? ->Tweeter/crossover change.
More/'feel-able' bass? -> That does the subwoofer and its enclosure/tuning and the crossover setup. What bass are you using and what's the enclosure/volume/tuning? Sealed, BR, horn, BP, TML?

For my hifi Deejing my system is:
18inch speaker for below for 30hz to 150hz
10inch woofer for 150hz to 400hz
I am currently using 2inch speaker for 400hz to 2khz
Silk dome tweeter for 2khz and above
The crossover Music player software Jriver Media centre.

Well, you have either to change your crossover/dsp setup or you have to change your speakers, a silk dome tweeter isn't suitable for any DJ purposes and a 2" midrange which goes from 400Hz up is just for hifi like your tweeter. What other amps do you use for the tweeter, 10" and midrange?

What do i mean the term "more live"? If you connect like this than it is less live DAC>Crossover>Amplifier>Speakers than connecting like this DAC>Amplifier>Speaker

That means it's not the amplifier, it's the crossover or it's setup. The crossover makes 90% of the sound of the speaker. Modifying the amp will not help you at all.

I stopped using mixer and crossover for Hifi due to its makes the sound less Alive.

I can't help but wonder how exactly both "live" and "less live" sounds like, in 30-150Hz 18" bass bins...

It can be distinguished by this method

Connection 1 audio sound:
Connect a source Android smartphone directly to a amplifier and hear how it sounds

Connection 2 audio sound:
Now again connect like this source Android smartphone to your Active Crossover to the same amplifier used in option 1

Which connection method sounds better?
Ans: Option 1

I maybe wrong it can even be the output section

I understand : alive, vibrant, bright, energetic...

Yes the live i meant is the same Alive sound

We're still talking about using this amplifier only on the 18" bass speakers, right?

So "no crossover", which means "no 150Hz low-pass"(?), sounds better to you?

And what "active crossover" are we talking about then, that damages the sound so dramatically?

Perhaps the settings of that could use some (re)adjusting?

It can be distinguished by this method

Connection 1 audio sound:
Connect a source Android smartphone directly to a amplifier and hear how it sounds

Connection 2 audio sound:
Now again connect like this source Android smartphone to your Active Crossover to the same amplifier used in option 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.