Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Modifing a Lab Gruppen FP series clone amplifier
Modifing a Lab Gruppen FP series clone amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
I can't help but wonder how exactly both "live" and "less live" sounds like, in 30-150Hz 18" bass bins...
Old 10th November 2017, 01:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Not to mention, how the determination has been made, that the input section of the amp is to blame for that (alleged) effect...
Old 10th November 2017, 02:55 PM   #13
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

i know the "real McCoy" has the Nomad link for power sequencing and it has built in limiters but i don't know if it has any DSP for eq that i know of.
and seeing that it's a clone it's entirely possible that it sounds like it needs to be "liver", who knows.
Old 10th November 2017, 03:02 PM   #14
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by us1070 View Post
I mean no input stages means no internal pre amplifier. I tested even with 2 inch floor standing speaker it transparent and smooth. Bought that amp for subwoofer use.
The subwoofer amp will not change the 'live' character of the sound at all. What do you want?

More highs? ->Tweeter/crossover change.
More/'feel-able' bass? -> That does the subwoofer and its enclosure/tuning and the crossover setup. What bass are you using and what's the enclosure/volume/tuning? Sealed, BR, horn, BP, TML?

Quote:
For my hifi Deejing my system is:
18inch speaker for below for 30hz to 150hz
10inch woofer for 150hz to 400hz
I am currently using 2inch speaker for 400hz to 2khz
Silk dome tweeter for 2khz and above
The crossover Music player software Jriver Media centre.
Well, you have either to change your crossover/dsp setup or you have to change your speakers, a silk dome tweeter isn't suitable for any DJ purposes and a 2" midrange which goes from 400Hz up is just for hifi like your tweeter. What other amps do you use for the tweeter, 10" and midrange?

Quote:
What do i mean the term "more live"? If you connect like this than it is less live DAC>Crossover>Amplifier>Speakers than connecting like this DAC>Amplifier>Speaker
That means it's not the amplifier, it's the crossover or it's setup. The crossover makes 90% of the sound of the speaker. Modifying the amp will not help you at all.
Old 10th November 2017, 03:14 PM   #15
us1070 is offline us1070  India
diyAudio Member

I stopped using mixer and crossover for Hifi due to its makes the sound less Alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
I can't help but wonder how exactly both "live" and "less live" sounds like, in 30-150Hz 18" bass bins...
It can be distinguished by this method

Connection 1 audio sound:
Connect a source Android smartphone directly to a amplifier and hear how it sounds

Connection 2 audio sound:
Now again connect like this source Android smartphone to your Active Crossover to the same amplifier used in option 1

Which connection method sounds better?
Ans: Option 1

I maybe wrong it can even be the output section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I understand : alive, vibrant, bright, energetic...
Yes the live i meant is the same Alive sound
Old 10th November 2017, 03:46 PM   #16
khalsa is offline khalsa  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa
Hello everyone please share anyone have smps FPQ10000 PWM circuit daigrams ?? pls share
Old 10th November 2017, 03:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

We're still talking about using this amplifier only on the 18" bass speakers, right?

So "no crossover", which means "no 150Hz low-pass"(?), sounds better to you?

And what "active crossover" are we talking about then, that damages the sound so dramatically?

Perhaps the settings of that could use some (re)adjusting?

Quote:
It can be distinguished by this method

Connection 1 audio sound:
Connect a source Android smartphone directly to a amplifier and hear how it sounds

Connection 2 audio sound:
Now again connect like this source Android smartphone to your Active Crossover to the same amplifier used in option 1
Old 10th November 2017, 09:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

i think he doesn't like what the crossover is doing taking the high frequency content out of the signal?
if full range audio to an 18 makes him happy who am i to judge? i feel sorry for his tweeter and mid if he likes everything unfiltered and unEQ'd.
Old 10th November 2017, 10:19 PM   #19
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I stopped using mixer and crossover for Hifi due to its makes the sound less Alive.
Either you don't know what a crossover is or it does not sound 'alive' anymore because you killed your tweeter because of the lack of a crossover. Buddy, a speaker does not work without a crossover. Not even wide-band speakers work properly without some filtering.
Old 10th November 2017, 10:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

i'm not getting the logic on this.
if using a crossover degrades the sound quality why would buying a clone amp that needs to be modified be considered worthwhile?

still not sure what the OP is looking to achieve but he seems to know what he wants.

Modifing a Lab Gruppen FP series clone amplifierHide this!Advertise here!