Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Why tda7498 blows my Denon a.c. Away?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2017, 07:30 PM   #1
sailormanbigd is offline sailormanbigd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Why tda7498 blows my Denon a.c. Away?

Hi, been building speakers for a few years.demo Them In garage and sound good. Hook them to My Denon avr-591 and they sound lifeless. Bought used klipsc h floodwaters as same thing. Recently hooked up a tda7498 chinese board to chinese small 24v 10amp psh and the klipsch come to life like wow! So what is wrong with my avr? How can I get it to sound as good as the cheap chinese amp? Can I build surround sound with the tpa7498? I currently have zaph audio mains and center and Paul Carmody amigas for surrounds, powered 8inch subwoofer. How do I get great 2channel music and surround sound for movies, etc? Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 01:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default No help

Ok, it's a really topic. How about....why does a cheap$12 amp board sound better than my $300+ a.c. Receiver? Do I have it set up wrong? Is there a set up guide in logical English for the denon av 591. Is there a known setting tweak? Just really frustrated! I did use audysey to setup. Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 04:15 PM   #3
strongbow60 is offline strongbow60  Sweden
diyAudio Member

By the look of it, Denon avr-591 isn't new. Components degrade over time, especially electrolytic capacitors in power supply and signal path. I have a nearly ten times more expensive amplifier that sounds dull and lifeless now, not so fifteen years ago. Changing the capacitors help a lot, but it isn't easy, and my amplifier has a reputation for breaking down easily.

Second, a amplifier like your Denon has a lot if functionality besides the power amp. A wild guess is that the power amplifiers is not much more expensive than a cheap tpa7498 board.
Third, the Chinese stuff is really cheap...
Old 9th November 2017, 05:11 PM   #4
jwjarch is offline jwjarch  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a very similar experience between my old Sony DB-830 AVR and a new Tripath board I set up this past year. Even thought the Sony is caulk full of Nichicon gold tune caps it sounds terrible compared to the Tripath TK2050 amp that I A, B'd next to it. Not to mention, the Sony has developed some noise on the outputs over time as well. I may end up repurposing the Sony chassis eventually since there's no point in re-capping and replacing the mosfets to MAYBE get decent sound again. If I need an AVR any time soon I'll probably go with a component setup so I can use the AVR for signal processing only and hook up my own amps. You may want to do the same with a little army of the 7498 boards. It's sad to ditch stuff that still "works", but a great excuse to replace with new, better sounding toys!
Old 9th November 2017, 09:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice and information. I would like to continue with 5.1 for movies and just 2.1 for my music. Do you know of any well documented builds that would accomplish this? Need USB with ARC return tech for the tv/blueray player. Hmm, while I'm at it how about a dac/preamp? Don't have the greenbacks for a new A/V receiver. I wouldn't know what to get these days anyway? I have morphed into an audiophile because of these cheap and cheerful Chinese amps. A new project sounds good because I promised the wife that I have built my last set of speakers! ��
Old 9th November 2017, 11:22 PM   #6
jwjarch is offline jwjarch  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, that would be an interesting project. Not sure if anyone has integrated all those features, esp. ARC, into a Hi-Fi 2 channel AND home theatre system. If it were me I would sell my old AVR on Ebay for a few bucks and find the best AVR I could afford that has pre-amp outputs for every channel. Otherwise, I think you're looking at a lot of R&D and $$$ to create your own thing. Definitley not on a 7498 budget.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:12 AM   #7
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Hi you think the tpa7498 sounds good, you should hear a TPA3116, similar price but even better sound. Simple the Denon is sold though a dealer and as such it will have a x60 to x100 mark up on the manufacturing cost. The Chinese amps are only suffering from a x10 to x20 mark up on the manufacturing cost. remember a Chinese worker only gets about 0.50 cents to $1/hour. Cheers

Last edited by gigigirl; 10th November 2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: extra comment
Old 10th November 2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A couple of years ago the $20 lepai lp-2020a allready outperformed my good old and expensive Yamaha AX-700 amp in sound quality.

Now listening for a few months to a $20 TPA3116 2.1 amp and I'm really blown away: real 2x50W+100W and the sound is so detailed, and just very NICE! And this 10oz (?) amp is more powerfull then the 25lbs Yamaha...

It runs fine with an old laptop adapter (+/- 19v >3A) The varable crossover is about 80-500hz. The solderingjob is among the best I have ever seen.
As subs are best run in mono and you can also run 2 fullrange bi-amped speakers from it.

Only 'negative' thing I've found is the noisefloor, but even with big sensitive PA speakers connected, I can hear it just a little within a foot when nothing is playing, so still good.
Old 10th November 2017, 10:56 PM   #9
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Weird, am I the only one who found improvement when moving from Tripath to class AB discrete?
Old 11th November 2017, 12:05 AM   #10
impuls60 is offline impuls60  Norway
diyAudio Member

Even though the chinese class D amps are cheap they sound good! Compared a moded tpa3116 to a very expensive Nad receiver and the tpa3116 had better bass at normal volume. Doesn't class d offer high dampening factor? You should really hear the tpa3255, its really impressive! Sounds very dynamic and has a surprisingly natural tone.

Why tda7498 blows my Denon a.c. Away?Hide this!Advertise here!