Quick Question Switch Type Hypex PSU Enable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks,

I’m researching a DIY build of an Ncore module and am just going through the datasheets / connections.

A quick question, what type of power switch is required for routing the standby output voltage to the power supply enable pin to take the amp out of standby?

I think it is probably a latching switch rather than a momentary to keep the voltage going to that pin, but I am unsure?

Thanks!

What PSU? Link to datasheet?

Some of these PSUs, if not all, are enabled by default, and an external voltage is required to keep them in soft disable mode. In other words, another small SMPS would be required for doing standby/power ON in the way it works in receivers and computers, where small parts of the electronics are kept active at power OFF.

I'm looking at a datasheet of SMPS400 from 2009 and it is like that, primarily intended for being switched ON/OFF through mains leads with appropriate >5A >250V AC switch.

btw: The switch needed to do the soft off function in the way described would be latching of course, low current contacts.

Agree with Eva,

I recently built a hypex based amp and used the auxillary supply for an LED to indicate the amp being ON.

I am now considering another build with 4 modules (2 x stereo) and want to be able to enable the second stereo pair for a different zone in the house (same music source)

There will be a raspberry Pi in the chassis also providing the source music. I will use GPIO pins to enable the second amplifier on demand (using the MQTT protocol)

So far, I have figured out that I can either put the amp modules into standby mode so I can use the smps auxillary to provide a positive voltage to do this OR I can put the smps into standby by providing a positive voltage to the smps. BUT I would need a positive voltage to be available when the smps is in standby. This can not be delivered by the smps itself as this will be in standby and therefore provide no auxillary output.

I will have another smps in my amp so I have the luxury of being able to power down the second smps with a voltage that will always be ON. The voltage required to put the smps into standby is minimal (5v to 12v) and minimal current so i could even you the supply for the raspberry Pi...... but you will need a small voltage that is always available to enable smps standby. Almost any switch could do this as the voltage and current is s small but it will need to 'remain switched' so the latching type as opposed to a momenary push type switch will required.

If you do need to use the auxillary smps supply voltage then your only option would be to put the amp modules themselves into standby and the smps would remain on. And for the smps main supply you will need a>5A >250V AC switch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.