TPA3118 noise and pop sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I am new in this forum and hope for a short answer.
I have searched in some threads and found some interesting ideas, but want to ask for a suggestion for my constellation:

This are my mono amps:

DC 8-26V PBTL TPA3118 Mono Digital Amplifier Board AMP Module 1*60W for Arduino | eBay

I have on RasPi running a LMS player called piCoreplayer, which can control a mute output. This can be connected over an optocoupler to the mute input of the 3118 board.
Without muting I have a very disturbing noise (with open line inputs too) and a switch on/off pop sound.
And I have two different power supplies for RasPi (5V) and for the mono-amps a 19V DC.

I another thread I found a solution with a protecting board (with delay) in series of the amp outputs to the speakers.

Question:
Makes it sense to generate a delay with the RasPi over GPIO to extend the muting?
Is it always necessary to use the protection boards at the outputs to the speakers?

Many thanks for your answers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.

When muting is active, I don't have noise.
But the muting is active only 2-3 seconds after starting the RaspI. Then the GPIO outputs are working.

Can I remove the power on/off pop sound only with the muting?
Or is it necessary to use the protection board on the amp output?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
ok, great!

And to reduce the noise during playing or pause I have to change the gain of the amp module?

In another thread I read that resistors are responsible for the max. setting of 32dB. Should I change the values to reduce the noise?

You may reduce noise by a lower gain setting.
Be aware gain setting is read once on power up, so you cannot change it "on the fly"

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The "best" noise performance is achieved at the lowest gain setting, i.e. 20dB voltage gain. The drawback is the inferior sensity of the amp. To yield 10V of output (25W/4Ohm) you need 1V of input voltage.
You will find you have to increase your volume potentiometer to achieve a certain level of output power.
So it depends on the input level that is available to you.
In most cases you will have to find a compromise somewhere in between that suits you.

Hi again,
I want to report my results after studiing the data sheet.
I decided realizing a gain of 20dB and changed the resistors.
Noise is very low, but my max. input level was not enough.
Therefore I changed to 26dB, noise is about half in comparison to beginning and my input level was enough.
From both resistors 39k and 100k I left the 100k and placed a further 39k in parallel to the original. This makes 19.5k, best value in data sheet is 20k with 5% tolerance.

I tuned all my 8 amp boards.

Next step is muting from raspberryPi over GPIO pins and a delayed switched relay in the power supply of the amp boards.

Thank you all for the help and informations!

Hi again,
I want to report my results after studiing the data sheet.
I decided realizing a gain of 20dB and changed the resistors.
Noise is very low, but my max. input level was not enough.
Therefore I changed to 26dB, noise is about half in comparison to beginning and my input level was enough.
From both resistors 39k and 100k I left the 100k and placed a further 39k in parallel to the original. This makes 19.5k, best value in data sheet is 20k with 5% tolerance.

I tuned all my 8 amp boards.

Next step is muting from raspberryPi over GPIO pins and a delayed switched relay in the power supply of the amp boards.

Thank you all for the help and informations!

@papaarrugada Can you please add some illustrations/pictures/schematics with the mods you made?

yes, of course.

gain can be selected with two R's.
The table of datasheet shows following selectable values in master mode:

gain | R1 to GND | R2 to GVDD
--------------------------------------------
20dB | 5,6k | OPEN
26dB | 20k | 100k --> I have selected
32dB | 39k | 100k --> default setting
36dB | 47k | 75k

therefore I had to change R1 from 39k to 20k.
I decided to place a second 39k on the top of the default R 39k.
Two 39k R's results in 19,5k, 20k is the suggested value in the table.
But it's in the 5% tolerance (19k to 21k).

I want to add a picture where you can see the "construction".
But I don't know how I can import a pic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.