What is wrong with TPA3255?

Hi,

I have tried a bunch of TPA3116 amps...they all sound OK, some sound very well...

I am ready for the next step in class D amplifiers, thats how I found TPA3255...specs look very promising.

I could not find any DIY boards so I ordered TAS5630B instead...not my cup of tea...to noisy. (I hear a white noise in my listening chair)...

I was wondering why I could not find any DIY boards based on TPA3255...

Any hints?

kind regards,

Tony

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
the chinese manufacturers normally copy and paste the EVM-board and do little modifications later on. Looking at the EVM-TPA3255 this does not look very sexy with its backside bulk caps. I think it needs a re-design to fit into the market - too much, and too risky development for low-cost producers. For a nicer design you may have a look at diyAudio server HTTPS page

Last edited:
the chinese manufacturers normally copy and paste the EVM-board and do little modifications later on. Looking at the EVM-TPA3255 this does not look very sexy with its backside bulk caps. I think it needs a re-design to fit into the market - too much, and too risky development for low-cost producers. For a nicer design you may have a look at diyAudio server HTTPS page

Link does not work... :)

Board arrived today...

Wow sent on wednesday and now I am already listening to it...good service!
3e-audio/tpa3255 board that is...

First I had powered it with 25vdc...could not get any sound...
Raised to 36 vdc, started playing at around 28vdc...

Almost dead quiet (just a little noise when I put my ear next to the high eff speaker...no noise in my listening seat)

Very good sound out of the box...I will continue listening for a few more days...sounds promising.

Any advice on the psu?
I am using 12vdc car battery with dc/dc covertor to get 36vdc...works flawless...
Never tried a heavy smps power supply or something like that...

Tony

With your dc/dc converter, you're not really that far off a mains supplied smps anyhow. I'd not expect much different, unless your present setup is current limited.

No current limits on the battery side...the convertor has a limit of 10A...
But I do not think I ever will need that...the board is not driving subwoofers at full power...

I saw a psu on the 3e-audio site and was wondering if this would give me an advantage over my battery powered solution...

Anyway...sounds very good as it is now...

After two days playing music

Warmed up, 36vdc powered...

Lots of detail and power, but lacks some power in the low frequenties...
For the moment I still prefer my tpa3116 yj blackboard...

Btw, I tried a few, must stop now and listen more to music... :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Other users of this tpa3255 board here?