TI Class D EVM Board 50% Promotion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I hooked up the TI TPA3255EVM to my system with the Audio Research LS7 tube line stage driving the TPA3255EVM, which in turn, drives my pair of KEF LS50 monitors. Wow! My wife remarked that this is the best she's heard from the KEF monitors. I thought they were quite lively with my Wiener 2.0 PBTL amp and Dynakit Stereo 35, but I have to admit these speakers match up very well with the TI amp. With the greater clarity and dynamic range, I hear more detail and attack and decay in the notes. The bass notes are better defined and have more weight than before--really no surprise here. What's nice is the warm, holographic presentation coming through very nicely.

Right now I have the amp on one piece of Birch plywood and the Mean Well supply on another identical size piece. I have to get some 2-3 inch high standoffs to properly stack the components to look a bit like this. For now, they are sitting side by side in my console cabinet.

IMG_0577.jpg

I have to listen to this amp some more, but I can certainly see why TI claims the TPA3255 to be an improvement over the TPA311x series. For the $105+ I shelled out for the amp module and Mean Well LRS-350-48, this is quite a bargain. :up:

Thanks for the report, rhing. I noticed a similar improvement going from the TPA3118 Wiener PBTL + linear regulated supply to the TPA3250 Wiener PRO + laptop brick. The TPA3250 was more than happy powered from a humble SMPS. I also have the TPA3255EVM, so it'll be interesting to compare with the Wiener PRO, which I have been using daily for quite some time.

BK

Rhing, Did you notice and turn on/off noise with this board ?

None at all. I start my power-on sequence and work my my from source to power amp. I make sure the RESET switch is engaged before I turn on the Mean Well power supply connected to the TPA3255EVM. Then I disengage the RESET switch. This is explained within the TPA3255EVM manual.

When I power-down, I engage the RESET switch first before turning off the Mean Well power supply. From there, I power off my line stage preamp, and then the sources. I do not physically connect or disconnect anything during power-up or power-down, or while everything is on.

Based on what others have said, I expected some kind of click or pop, but nothing. In fact, this amp is very quiet and it stays cool during operation. The heat sink is barely warm. I haven't heard the fan on the Mean Well turn on yet.

To be honest, i haven't listened to the new amp with PFFB yet. It's still sitting on the testbench at <=0.001% 100W even without PFFB. :D

So no real listening experience yet.

But hey, my ubersmall TPA3128 amplifier with carbonyl inductors does a nice warm sound due to increasing k2 distortion. Not the best in benchmark but charming to the ears.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.