TI Class D EVM Board 50% Promotion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My amp is playing now. Sidelined the Weiner for now.
Couldn't wait for the Meanwell. Hooked it up to a 34Vac transformer, a 6amp full wave rectifier and largish capacitor.
Am I supposed to be afraid? It's an unregulated super simple PSU measuring 49Vdc across the amp's inputs.
I'm not playing it any louder than my Weiner used to play. It just seems to be just clearer, instruments and notes more separate.
If I pause the player, there's no sound coming out of the speakers, no hum at all. I was expecting to hear some hum due to the simplistic PSU.
I'm thinking of installing a 2amp fuse in the primary of the transformer and maybe a 6amp fuse just before the amp's inputs. Or am I not respecting the amp enough by powering it up with this PSU?
Or should I buy the Meanwell 350W 48V SMPS?

My amp is playing now.

I have pretty much the same setup as yourself and the the description of cleaner and clearer is what I am hearing as well over my other amplifiers. Call it old school but I prefer a linear supply with all my builds. I am using a 400VA 34 Antek toroid with 30,000uf of capacitance. I am really enjoying it.

Last edited:
I placed my order for the TPA3255EVM last Friday, and just received the amp today. The amp was double boxed and packaged very nicely. It is larger than I realized: 5 in. wide x 6.5 in. long x 3 in. high. It appears to be well constructed with quality components. I just ordered a Mean Well LRS-350-48 switching power supply from Arrow for $31.10 including free Federal Express Next Day shipping. I just need to get some wire, some lugs, and an IEC AC connector and I'll hook it up in my system. I'll add some input transformers later on.

IMG_0571.jpg

Looks like promotion has finished as price is back to 149.

Can you guys please advise, would it be fine to use Meanwell HLG 600H 48A with TPA3255EV?

I have had only experience with those amps:

SMSL SA98E (TDA7498E)
TOPPING TP-60 (TA-2022)
DIY Sure T-AMP AA-AB32314 2x400 + Meanwell HLG 600H 48A + Resistor Ladder type volume controller

I had problem with Volume as it sounds laud only near maximum ,couple steps down from max and its volume becomes quickly quiet.

How would you compere the TPA3255EVM to the amps I mentioned (TDA7498E / TA-2022 / T-AMP AA-AB32314)?

also how do you control volume on TPA3255EV? preamp or just with a pot (10k , 25k, 50k ,100k?)

Thx

Last edited:
I ordered mine last night. The price shows $149. You must log in which requires a "My TI" account, easy to set up. Once logged in type "highpoweraudio" in the promotion or discount code box (I don't remember the exact name). You must be logged in for the code to work. The price will be then reduced to $75. The free shipping deal is however gone, so it's about $6 for shipping.

That's a bummer that TI is out of stock of the TPA3255EVM. With offering 50% off and free shipping, it's obvious that TI was tryiing to clear their inventory of these amp modules. I'm glad I placed my order last week.

I just received my Mean Well LRS-350-48 switching power supply. It looks larger in photos than is the case. I still have to get a few parts and some wire to get the TPA3255EVM powered up and working in my system.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 603
Warning to people form Europe.

Warning to people form Europe. I've ordered board from TI and after few days I've noticed that shipping will be in one year (12 months). I've contacted TI and they said it's no mistake, due to EU law changes they need to re-certify evaluation boards it may take up to one year.

They were good enough to cancel my order :/.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.