Arcade Build - Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, new question...

Finally had a chance to play with the amp. I have an old Compaq 19v laptop power supply and the hole in the centre is too small so I can't fit it into the power jack.

Grabbed an 18v laptop power supply from an HP laptop I have, and the plug is too big.

Sigh... ended up testing with a 12v adapter for LED lights, 12v3A, and got some decent volume out of the speakers.

Question is, the eBay listing says standard 5.5mm power jack, what are the dimensions of a standard 5.5mm jack? like length and hole size?

I think my best bets are to either (A) cut the end off the PSU and solder on a new one or (B) solder a new jack onto the amp board, except I have no idea what size that Compaq plug is.... well, 4.8mm but not sure the hole size.

Figure when I get the caps online I'll grab one.

Funny story about that though... few years back I bought a few audio kits off eBay, then moved a few times and just never used them and lost them. Found them today, probably over 100 caps, almost all nichicon and rubycon, and a small handful of tiny 100uf and 220uf Chongs?

EDIT - Compaq e500 PSU - 4.8mm OD x 7.1mm ID. Not finding any jacks on DigiKey to solder to the board so, I guess, male plug, 5.5mm OD... what's the ID and length?

Last edited:
Well... assuming it's a 5.5mm x 2.5mm similar to a Toshiba laptop battery... about $5 for a cable from Digikey, or $10 for a new PSU from eBay from the USA (cheaper to order from the USA than from Canada... go figure).

Just need to confirm if a "standard" 5.5mm jack is 5.5mm OD x 2.5mm ID. I'd ask the seller but, eBay China so, from past experience, the response won't be overly helpful.

Last edited:
That Compaq psu plug is... related to a black hole, perhaps? Not sure how else the inner diameter (hence the "ID") is larger than the outside diameter ;)

"5.5mm DC jack" usually come in two standard flavors, to the best of my knowledge - 5.5x2.1mm (as in guitar stompboxes) and 5.5x2.5mm (a bit less often seen, in my experience - on "medium power" stuff though, like computer audio interfaces).

Oops.... 4.1mm OD 1.7mm ID. :)

Hmm... I guess I'll have to well, guess, between 2.1 and 2.5... always great when they say a standard 5.5mm jack and there are 2 options. :D

EDIT - 12v Adapter for my LED strip fit, was lucky enough to find the same one on eBay and they listed the plug size... 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

Last edited:
Well... few people said they used a standard laptop power supply... spent an hour on eBay looking an laptops don't seem to have as 5.5 x 2.1, pretty much all 5.5 x 2.5.

Weird they'd use a standard adapter plug size, but then recommend a 19-24v power source for it.

Luckily, DigiKey order I placed (at 1am) didn't ship and was able to add a new 6' long cable. Had to go through a lot of datasheets because almost all were rated 12v, but found one rated 36v 3A, and my PSU is 19v 3.1A so I think I should be ok. About $4.90CAD so, open the PSU I have, solder in the new cable and good to go hopefully.

$4.90 was cheaper than a new PSU for sure. :D

Grabbed a bunch of caps, for this amp and the guitar amp project as well. Annoyingly, those kits I grabbed years ago, over 100 caps, most Nichicon/Rubycon... and I swear, not 1 single cap matched what I needed for either project. :S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.