Want to run ~1200 watts of car amps in my home - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2017, 06:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Want to run ~1200 watts of car amps in my home

Hey folks, I've got three digital Precision Power amps that I'd like to run a temporary home theater speaker setup with.
I know I can just grab a PC power supply to run a small amp, but what should I do about ~1200 watts?
This will be for front & rear speakers along with a pair of 15" vented subwoofer enclosures.

I'm in the USA.
The source will be my HTPC computer with a Sound Blaster "Z" audio card (3.5mm x3 output for 5.1 audio).
Old 12th May 2017, 07:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

quite simple, get a larger truck battery, hook em up and good to go.
allso grab an automatic charger. before you turn your system on, simply disconnect the charger. and when you are done with your movie, re-connect the charger.
Old 12th May 2017, 07:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For one: Don't. At least, don't power them at full power with a wanky pc power supply.

If you do want to do it, get yourself some beefy LINEAR Power Supplies that can handle all the amps. Just because switch mode power supplies can and WILL blow up in your face when parallelled. Because, you just don't. If you do have to use switch mode ones, use switch mode psu's from the same make, same batch, same date. Preferrably server psu's that are MEANT to be able to be ran parallel. Barevids did it. Loud junk though.

Your sub won't need 1200watts (probably peak though-) to be home theatre ready, right?

Hope this is a bit of help.
Old 12th May 2017, 07:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Math says.. 100 amp supply @ 12 v.d.c. You're gonna need every bit of that during an action scene..
Old 12th May 2017, 07:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridKindaGuy View Post
Math says.. 100 amp supply @ 12 v.d.c. You're gonna need every bit of that during an action scene..
Probably not, as the 1200W will be mostly imaginary - but still, a truck battery (or even a decent car battery) with a charger is likely to be the cheapest option.
Old 12th May 2017, 08:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Goodwin View Post
Probably not, as the 1200W will be mostly imaginary - but still, a truck battery (or even a decent car battery) with a charger is likely to be the cheapest option.
I agree. The stated/rated power is usually half. (The big sham) But still, during action scenes, the 3 amplifiers would still require at least ~50 amps, I'm sure, with the subs being the power hogs..

I seriously don't believe a car battery would last a whole movie..
Old 13th May 2017, 03:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I´ve done just what you are asking.
I connected two equal computer PSUs together in paralell to get a total of 12v 60A. It worked like a dream, but I would rather recommend to get yourself a server PSU. They can often deliver 12v up to 120A+ (1440W) so plenty of power. Many people in the RC community uses these server PSUs to charge their batteries etc. Search around, there´s a lot of good info on them, and a lot of then floating round on ebay. You might even be lucky to scrap one form an old server form the dump
Old 16th May 2017, 11:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

for 1000s of watts, search on 2rd hand sale sites like evilbay for server power supplys. like DPS-something. look for instructions on how to active them on https://www.rcgroups.com .
Old 17th May 2017, 11:01 AM   #9
dzwer is offline dzwer  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

It's better to use 3 PSUs - one PSU per amplifier.

Hide this!Advertise here!