The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

I got worried by the experiences of high noise here as I have very efficient mids and tweeters (BG Neo8S & GR Neo3, both are bordering on 100 dB / W @ 10 khz efficiency from the front).

When testing on the NC100HF amp with my tweeter I find no noise at all is audible, even with my ear at a few cm right in front of the driver. I have it connected through optical input.

You who have audible noise should probably contact Hypex as something somewhere is probably not right.

I just tested the FA123 with analog and AES inputs. No digital noise, just normal hiss. But I have a problem with HFD and the "Live Update" Function. When I disable Filters or delete them nothing happens. The processing is still going on. On the other hand when I drag them with the mouse and change the frequency I can hear the results even when the filter is disabled. Could be a source of error while using it.

When I turned on my Fusion amp this morning, I left my ear right next to the cone.

It had a tiny low level hiss (barley audible) I watched the lights flick through their settings, and when the DSP kicked in, that same thing I described (and someone else in this thread) as high level oscillation. Almost like the sound of a CD player spinning from a few metres away.

I left it 10mins turned it off and on again and it seems to have gone. I did have the amp lifted up at 15* or so, so it had a bit of airflow around its packing box, I read in the manual its designed to be at 90* or 45*?

Anyway the sound was small, and has since gone. I will try again tomorrow, after its cooled down. I'm not complaining, just hopefully providing some information to the group, that may be able to solve this small niggle.

It had a tiny low level hiss (barley audible) I watched the lights flick through their settings, and when the DSP kicked in, that same thing I described (and someone else in this thread) as high level oscillation..

I can report similar experiences. The amps have that hiss which is completely normal. But then from time to time this weird digital interference noise appears. It's not always audible. I haven't found out yet, which rules it follows to appear and disappear. It's seems a bit random at this point.

I can report similar experiences. The amps have that hiss which is completely normal. But then from time to time this weird digital interference noise appears. It's not always audible. I haven't found out yet, which rules it follows to appear and disappear. It's seems a bit random at this point.

We have looked into this and it seems that with some modules the strawfield of the outcoils goes into the flatcable. The solution is to create more distance or sometimes if you bring them closer to the coil it will also go down. We are working on a workaround. All customers who thinks this is a problem please contact support@hypex.nl.

We have looked into this and it seems that with some modules the strawfield of the outcoils goes into the flatcable. The solution is to create more distance or sometimes if you bring them closer to the coil it will also go down. We are working on a workaround. All customers who thinks this is a problem please contact support@hypex.nl.

can you please post a picture with circles of the part that you mean?
I will try and isolate the ribbon-cable. Just need to know where.

What I found almost more annoying is this on-delay. when I press play in iTunes the very few seconds will be cut away because the amps seem to need some milliseconds to let signal thru?
(signal detection is OFF by the way!!!)

Last edited:
Hello there, I was wondering if some of you guys who already received and tested your modules can share what you think of the modules in general, except from the noise discussed on the last two pages?
What do you think of the sound in general?

I am working on a project where i was planing on using two of the FA123 modules to drive a small three way floorstander based on two of Scan Speaks 18W as bass woofers, a yet to be defined midrange and Scan Speaks R3004 Tweeter.
I am wondering if the FA123 will be up for the job or if i need the FA253. The 18W can handle 60W each and they are 8 Ohm. So is the 125 W @ 4 ohm enough to drive them (in paralell? i guess?).

I am wondering if the FA123 will be up for the job or if i need the FA253. The 18W can handle 60W each and they are 8 Ohm. So is the 125 W @ 4 ohm enough to drive them (in paralell? i guess?).
"Can handle X" doesn't mean "must be driven by at least X", it all depends on how loud you need/want to go (and remember that speaker distortion increases with cone excursion).

No of course not. My simulation show i will need a maximum of 50W but I am honestly not sure if that is the total amount of power or pr. driver.. I think it might be total though. I have the numer from Winisd. I guess what they call signal source is the total amount of power. So i guess it will be fine.

I was mostly curious of the opinions people had on the sound in general :)

I pretty confident they sound marginally better in every aspect than my (what I thought was very good) DLCP - Ucd180HrX combo. I would like to try out a proper source and do an actual demo with people who know their kit.

I would also like to progress my front end to more than bare MDF boxes and CAT6 network cable with Wago connectors, so too would like to hear how others with hopefully a more developed system think these sound.

I don't think the nCore developments are very different sonically to the pretty neutral UcD's?

@Jan-Peter or ds23man:

can you give information if the buffer-board will be interchangeable like with ncore500 or are they firmly integrated in the circuit/amp?

I tested various nc500oem buffers including the expensive SIL opamp versions and the standard hypex one comes best. nc500MP and fusion amps simply save time , space and money having integrated buffers.

I am wondering about the Hypex use of "Wrms" power rating. On one hand we know power should not be expressed in RMS, on the other, the term is in use, even in pro audio .
Eg. FA501 output power is listed as 500Wrms @4ohm ,<0.1%THD+N. The detailed tech papers are not available yet but the amps are based on NC500MP units. In the older tech paper (8-12-2016, table 3.4) the NC500MP Peak Output Power is shown as 500W (unit - W) 1kHz, THD=1%. But the Continuous Output Power is listed as 100W.
The current paper (9-06-2017) in the same table 3.4 shows "Unit- Wrms", and in "remarks" we get the same "1kHz, THD=1%". The Peak Output Power is 500Wrms . Continuous Output Power is still 100 but now Wrms, not W.

Can somebody (Hypex?) clarify what is meant by the "Wrms" rating? And what standard is used
for the Continuous Output Power? Is it IEC2685 ?

My practical question is whether Fusion Amps when built into cabinets can sustain 500 watts of continuous output power as defined by IEC2685? Or it is 100 watts?
To go from 100W to 500W the thermal limits would have to been moved significantly (cooling), which is not impossible, but...

I am mildly confused by the IR kit instructions for mounting the kit in the cabinet.

Do I just stick the unit to the inside of the cabinet, drill 2 small holes and stick the light pipe into them (cutting them to the appropriate depth) so they hit the relevant bit of the circuit board?

I have installed HFD with Windows Parallels. This works like a charm - I have an older 2010 MBP and Bootcamp would not load Windows 7 on it; with Parallels Win7 installed very fast (took several hours though). Now HFD works, as does the USB interface.
Some remarks:
  • A filter made without a unit is always 3 ch; this will not load when the FA122 is connected. So you have to start your project with the actual unit in place.
  • Sometimes my newest project could not be found again, even after it was loaded into the FA122 with success and tested for compliance. (A new file entry was found in file browsing, but did not show up in the project selection. Remade the filter, loaded this new version to the FA122 and saved it. Now it could be reopened.) The saving might be improved with better safeguards against fools like me. Is the sequence important?

Made two presets for my subwoofer project.
  1. With a Linkwitz-Riley 48 low pass
  2. with a Bessel fifth order

Attachments

• LR filter 48 dB Low Pass.jpg
    LR filter 48 dB Low Pass.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,028
  • Bessel 5 order LP.jpg
    Bessel 5 order LP.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 988
Sound review Fusion Amp (122)

Hi all, I don’t know if this message is beside the points made in this thread, but I just have to share ...:)

1. It took me three+ weeks to get my FA 122s going.
2. First one up was the second amp unpacked (after 2+ weeks getting nowhere = no sound output). It was my iPhone and Tidal as the source to one amp module via RCA in.
3. I’ll spare you the rest; now master-slave and AES in is up.

I changed from Hypex plate amps PSC2.400d.

I run a pair of 2 way monitors with 6,5” Scanspeak woofer and 1” all dome scanspeak tweeter.

I was looking to get:
• softer high end
• more ‘ambience’ / 3 dimensionally
• possibly better human voice and midrange instrument quality.
• possibly even more dynamic and “life” bass w. full control.

I have installed 4th order LR filters at 1850 Hz (the alu domes play even lower and can handle 400w peaks).

I have not measured the speakers or tried to adjust frequency characteristics.

I have very sturdy and braced MDF cabinets and a thick baffle w. “Lead-rubber” in a sandwich construction.

Enough about all those conditions.

But these amps are terrific!

The 100 Watts easily suffice and dynamics are clearly improved over the 400 watts of old.

All 4 quality parameters are met (big time).

Elements of the sound seem like my high quality and quite expensive tube amps from 2+ yrs ago.

But the balanced clean and controlled sound beats it.

Wishes from me:
• A well written step-by-step guide to performing frequency “sweep” test incl. microfone recommendation and installation. It needs to be very user-friendly, have the right step-by-step and “frequent mistakes” approach AND include the “how to correct the most important frequency imperfections using the FA software”.
• A well written recommendation of room correction software - preferably for OpenDRC or similarly inexpensive and ‘handy’ hardware. Any experiences with Accourate vs. Dirac ??

I have played everything from gospel, BB King, amazing Miserere choir music to U2 ...

Well, well; these amps and DSP modules are awesome - highly recommended!