Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2018, 01:27 PM   #831
TimbreAudio is offline TimbreAudio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I pretty confident they sound marginally better in every aspect than my (what I thought was very good) DLCP - Ucd180HrX combo. I would like to try out a proper source and do an actual demo with people who know their kit.

I would also like to progress my front end to more than bare MDF boxes and CAT6 network cable with Wago connectors, so too would like to hear how others with hopefully a more developed system think these sound.

I don't think the nCore developments are very different sonically to the pretty neutral UcD's?
Old 13th July 2018, 11:40 AM   #832
DannerD3H is offline DannerD3H  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Okay good to hear. Thx for the feedback!
Old 13th July 2018, 12:59 PM   #833
spedmetal is offline spedmetal  Finland
diyAudio Member

Has everyone who did the pre order, already received their amps? Still waiting for mine.
Old 14th July 2018, 08:40 AM   #834
nugat is offline nugat  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo stiglitz View Post
@Jan-Peter or ds23man:

can you give information if the buffer-board will be interchangeable like with ncore500 or are they firmly integrated in the circuit/amp?
I tested various nc500oem buffers including the expensive SIL opamp versions and the standard hypex one comes best. nc500MP and fusion amps simply save time , space and money having integrated buffers.
Old 14th July 2018, 10:09 AM   #835
nugat is offline nugat  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am wondering about the Hypex use of "Wrms" power rating. On one hand we know power should not be expressed in RMS, on the other, the term is in use, even in pro audio .
Eg. FA501 output power is listed as 500Wrms @4ohm ,<0.1%THD+N. The detailed tech papers are not available yet but the amps are based on NC500MP units. In the older tech paper (8-12-2016, table 3.4) the NC500MP Peak Output Power is shown as 500W (unit - W) 1kHz, THD=1%. But the Continuous Output Power is listed as 100W.
The current paper (9-06-2017) in the same table 3.4 shows "Unit- Wrms", and in "remarks" we get the same "1kHz, THD=1%". The Peak Output Power is 500Wrms . Continuous Output Power is still 100 but now Wrms, not W.

Can somebody (Hypex?) clarify what is meant by the "Wrms" rating? And what standard is used
for the Continuous Output Power? Is it IEC2685 ?

My practical question is whether Fusion Amps when built into cabinets can sustain 500 watts of continuous output power as defined by IEC2685? Or it is 100 watts?
To go from 100W to 500W the thermal limits would have to been moved significantly (cooling), which is not impossible, but...
Old 14th July 2018, 04:33 PM   #836
3ll3d00d is online now 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am mildly confused by the IR kit instructions for mounting the kit in the cabinet.

Do I just stick the unit to the inside of the cabinet, drill 2 small holes and stick the light pipe into them (cutting them to the appropriate depth) so they hit the relevant bit of the circuit board?
Old 15th July 2018, 08:16 AM   #837
DannerD3H is offline DannerD3H  Denmark
diyAudio Member

3ll3d00d
I have also had a hard time figuring that out from the limited description in the begining. But the newest (no longer preliminary) manual for th efusion amps has a pretty good explenation with drawings of this on some of the last pages. So if you haven't seen that then re-download the manual and have a look
Old 15th July 2018, 09:19 AM   #838
3ll3d00d is online now 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

thanks for the pointer, that does explain it more clearly.
Old 19th July 2018, 01:31 PM   #839
triode_al is offline triode_al  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have installed HFD with Windows Parallels. This works like a charm - I have an older 2010 MBP and Bootcamp would not load Windows 7 on it; with Parallels Win7 installed very fast (took several hours though). Now HFD works, as does the USB interface.
Some remarks:
  • A filter made without a unit is always 3 ch; this will not load when the FA122 is connected. So you have to start your project with the actual unit in place.
  • Sometimes my newest project could not be found again, even after it was loaded into the FA122 with success and tested for compliance. (A new file entry was found in file browsing, but did not show up in the project selection. Remade the filter, loaded this new version to the FA122 and saved it. Now it could be reopened.) The saving might be improved with better safeguards against fools like me. Is the sequence important?

Made two presets for my subwoofer project.
  1. With a Linkwitz-Riley 48 low pass
  2. with a Bessel fifth order
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR filter 48 dB Low Pass.jpg (1.01 MB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Bessel 5 order LP.jpg (1,023.9 KB, 137 views)

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!