Diy Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks a lot Nigel, I appreciate the input. . . I really want to build one that I designed, but I have to start somewhere, right? I need to understand exactly how they work. I prefer class ab amps to d. But it's hard finding the right info. I just want to build an amp for my truck that I can say I made from scratch. I understand a lot more about them than I did a couple of weeks ago, but I still have a long way to go before I can engineer my own. But even a simple design that I made, it doesn't matter, I just don't want a chip amp, I want a 'real' amplifier.

Wow, you can make a 500W amp with that chip?! But it's just a chip, isn't it? I don't understand the difference between that and say a regular car amp you'd purchase. All of the signal processing takes place in the chip instead of say a proprietary circuit design?

Now let me ask you something, I see all these serious looking amps (according to their specs), that are on these small boards, 8 x 8 inches or whatever, with heat syncs and sometimes fans on them. There's this one site that sells all kinds of them either built or kits. Are these amps really as good as say a RF Punch, or Power series amp? B/c they are so much cheaper! Sure electronics for instance. . . they have some powerful amps for a fraction of the price of a good name brand amp. Is it worth it dollar for dollar? Like can these amps pound a 12" 800W sub like a 1000W RF would? It's so hard to believe.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.