TPA3251 2Ch Amplifier Board DIY Design (Compact size/Amazing Performance)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@matt_garman
I would like to know how effective are your speakers?

I assume you mean efficient aka sensitivity? They are 87 dB 2.83V/1m. (Solstice MTM)

I have these in a small room (10x11 feet, 9 foot ceiling), and I usually listen at pretty modest levels (80dB or less according to a free SLP app on my phone). 90 dB would be really loud by my standards. So the tpa3251 offers way more power than I'll ever need. Hence, according to my post above, I'm only pulling 4 or 5 watts (20ish volt-amps) from the wall. Just be aware, if you have a similarly low load, the epp-200-27 may not be the ideal power supply, as it seems whining/hissing at such a low load is part of the design.

Happy with the amp board though (other than the misleading silkscreen/webpage that suggests a 24v power supply will work, when actual minimum voltage is 25v).

thanks for the detailed answer.

yes sensitivity. MTM Morels ok ...

I have 2 SMPS, a 24v that I can push at 27vdc (200w) and another at 36vdc (400w). I'll compare it to my T-amp Sure 2 * 400w (Gremlin, with MKP Obligato to the signal) plugged into my fullrange (mode FAST with a Goldmund clone AB).

Hi everyone,

I received my PCB TPA3251, very well packaged and fast delivery. Also I appreciate the two included connectors. I installed in a box and this temporarily to check that everything works fine. then I'll plug it in with a 36vdc smps. I will come back to you with impressions.

But already plugged into my second stereo, instead of a TAS5613, it seems softer and more musical. :D

Hi,

I have a question for you.

Now I have the TPA3251 powered with a 36vdc SMPS. I would like to test it with a linear power supply but at 37vdc single. According to TI's doc, this chips can take up to max 38vdc.

At 37vdc, do you think there could be a problem. the speakers have 4 ohms and I do not listen at a very loud volume.

Hi,

I have a question for you.

Now I have the TPA3251 powered with a 36vdc SMPS. I would like to test it with a linear power supply but at 37vdc single. According to TI's doc, this chips can take up to max 38vdc.

At 37vdc, do you think there could be a problem. the speakers have 4 ohms and I do not listen at a very loud volume.
Hi

it won't be a problem.
but you need make sure the 37VDC is stable(good quanlity one).

thanks!

Hi everyone! After reading a lot about TPA3255 in this forum, finally I pulled the trigger. I just received the 3e-audio TPA3255 board 2 days ago. I was so eager to hook it up for testing despite I don't have all the necessary parts to assemble this amp yet.

Here's my initial setup for functional test.
attachment.php

Suppose I should connect the SMPS directly to the amp board, but I would like to experiment with different voltage settings. So I connect the RD DPS5020 DC-DC converter in between to adjust the voltage.

My temporary setup:
Raspberry Pi 2 (Volumio) > Fiio E17 USB DAC > 3e-audio TPA3255 amp > Pioneer SP-FS52 speaker.

Initial test was satisfying. At least everything is working and there's sound :). There's a slight hiss from the tweeter when I put my ear right next to it. Not noticeable when listening to music.

Here's my experiment:

PVDD: 44 VDC
Current consumption: 0.12A
Power: 5.3W
Heat sink temperature: 46°C
Coil temperature: 47°C
attachment.php

PVDD: 24 VDC
Current consumption: 0.09A
Power: 2.15W
Heat sink temperature: 36°C
Coil temperature: 36°C
attachment.php

Ambient temperature: 30°C

Why the amp is getting much hotter at 44V input even without any music playing? Is this normal or is there something wrong?

Attachments

• 3e-audio TPA3255 - Temporary Setup.jpg
    3e-audio TPA3255 - Temporary Setup.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • 3e-audio TPA3255 - 44VDC Input.jpg
    3e-audio TPA3255 - 44VDC Input.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,398
  • 3e-audio TPA3255 - 24VDC Input.jpg
    3e-audio TPA3255 - 24VDC Input.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
Another build using the 3e module. This was a build for my parents who are moving house and needed something fairly discrete and relatively cheap. These amp modules seemed to hit the spot perfectly. Sorry in advance for the crappy photos...

The plan is to pair it with a yamaha wxc-50, which will do source (spotify and airplay mostly) and preamp duty.Speakers will be a pair of my (currently unused) dynaudio excite x16s (rated to handle up to 150W).

Nothing fancy but i like it. Case and PSU (connext SMPS300R, 32V) from audiophonics. Red LED fed from aux line of the SMPS and a switch on the front.

attachment.php

I've only had a brief listen on the mentioned Dynaudios and my Alpair 10p bookshelf speakers, but my impression so far is very positive :)

Last picture is the amp on top of a DIY F6 in a 4U/300 modushop case for size comparison.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tpa3251-1.png
    tpa3251-1.png
    973.3 KB · Views: 1,519
  • tpa3251-2.png
    tpa3251-2.png
    606.1 KB · Views: 1,509
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I believe the reason is mostly convenience: if you have multiple boards running in parallel, it's easy to "chain" power. Even if you only have one board, it's handy for layout purposes (having a power connector on either side).

In my case I used one for actual power input. The other one I used for a power-on LED. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.