ICE 125ASX2 module damaged smd varistor near AC neutral line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I'm investigating some ICE 125ASX2 modules (amps) at the moment. Each module is powered on via back AC inlet rocket switch. After powering on the amp there was a electrical pop sound and after subsequent power on a bit loud pop and that tripped the mains fuse. Just to be on the safe side inspection of this particular module took place:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Surprisingly, there are some black marks on the connector plastic around the P100 neutral AC pin and damage to nearby varistor (I suppose?!) connecting fuse to neutral, as shown on the picture (black circled). Module is operating fine with occasional AC pop when powered on. Now, for the time being I guess that I can I bypass the varistor (just remove it) as I already have power conditioner ... but is anyone aware of the actual varistor part number? as I may as well replace the broken one. In essence, is it safe to run the module without the varistor in place?

Thanks!

Last edited:
When consumers get to buy amp modules such as this one, often they are returned or repaired stock from a previous customer, and have imperfections.

The purpose of this varistor is to protect the amp from overvoltage conditions. It becomes a short to keep voltage from reaching the product, causes the fuse to blow, and the MOV itself (which is now dead after sacrificing itself) will become open circuit afterwards. The black marks on the connector is further evidence that this amp has been subjected to overvoltage conditions causing the MOV to blow. Without the MOV, just replacing the fuse, the product will continue to work fine, just without overvoltage protection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.