Best Amplifier for Mono 100w speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 12:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default Best Amplifier for Mono 100w speaker

Hey guys, First Post Here...

I am planning to build my own powered DIY speaker.
My plan was to use two 8 ohm speakers (tweeter & woofer/mid bass), both with a power handling of 50w RMS.
To cross over these two, I considered a selfbuilt 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley crossover (12db/octave) with a separating frequency of 2000 hz.
Now I have some questions, I hope they aren't that dumb

The crossover diagram looks like the speakers are wired in parallel. Does the overall impedance now change to 4 ohms? So the amplifier has to deliver 4ohms?
I've found a Sure Mono T-AMP amplifier, which is rated for 200w RMS @ 3 ohm.
Would the amp be good to power my system, or is it overpowered?
Or would you suggest another amp?

I'd love to here your answers

(If it helps:
Tweeter: Dayton DC28F-8
Woofer: Dayton DC160-8)

Sorry for my English, not my native language
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 06:26 PM   #2
ICG is online now ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2608 View Post
The crossover diagram looks like the speakers are wired in parallel. Does the overall impedance now change to 4 ohms? So the amplifier has to deliver 4ohms?
No, because the crossover will separate it. The nominal impedance stays at 8 Ohm. You have to keep in mind though, the impedance isn't flat, it fluctuates a lot with the frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2608 View Post
I've found a Sure Mono T-AMP amplifier, which is rated for 200w RMS @ 3 ohm.
Would the amp be good to power my system, or is it overpowered?
Or would you suggest another amp?
It's usually much better to have more power than needed because you want to avoid clipping - which easily kills tweeters, even if the amp got a lot less rating than the speakers. But with 200W at 3 Ohm it will be only 75W at 8 Ohm. So it's still okay but would be better to get a more powerful amplifier to get a bit more headroom. Maybe look for an amplifier that doesn't need that low impedances for full power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2608 View Post
I am planning to build my own powered DIY speaker.
My plan was to use two 8 ohm speakers (tweeter & woofer/mid bass), both with a power handling of 50w RMS.
To cross over these two, I considered a selfbuilt 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley crossover (12db/octave) with a separating frequency of 2000 hz. [...]
Your questions speak volumes, and they aren't silly. But they make it clear, you don't have experience in developing speakers. It is not simply 'I buy good drivers, calculate the crossover and it sounds great'. Calculating doesn't work because the change in the impedance over the frequency. And it doesn't account in any way to the phase. Or the non-linearities of the drivers. Or the different sound pressure level. Or the geometry of the baffle (Schallwand) -> Baffle Step.
If you don't have the equipment for measuring it (not that expensive), I'd strongly suggest you to stick to a already developed speaker or -kit.
__________________
Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 10:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
With 8-ohm speakers, you may want to use an amplifier board that can support higher supply voltage like this one:

TDA7498E 160Wx2 digital stereo amplifier board PBTL 220W mono channel amp car | eBay

Just use one channel. This amp also support PBTL (mono, two channels in parallel) operation though that won't help you much with 8-ohm speakers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 10:49 PM   #4
ICG is online now ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravels View Post
With 8-ohm speakers, you may want to use an amplifier board that can support higher supply voltage like this one:

TDA7498E 160Wx2 digital stereo amplifier board PBTL 220W mono channel amp car | eBay
That would be a possible candidate. The amp delivers higher power at higher impedances, which makes it a possibly better choice at this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravels View Post
Just use one channel. This amp also support PBTL (mono, two channels in parallel) operation though that won't help you much with 8-ohm speakers.
Well, it's not a problem to use both channels in PBTL but - and there you are right - it won't help much either.
__________________
Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100W Mono Bluetooth Receiver/Amplifier? MitchMev Everything Else 0 4th January 2017 06:54 PM
500w mono amp, 400w sub & 100w mid speaker? nicasiox2 Multi-Way 1 8th August 2016 08:43 PM
TDA7498 100W+100W Class D Amplifier comasus Class D 1 18th November 2015 10:05 PM
Looking to build 100w @16 ohm mono amplifier bentobob Solid State 9 28th September 2015 08:14 PM
Best amplifier board (100W + 100W) (<50$) H3x0S Class D 5 18th October 2012 06:05 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Wiki