Best Amplifier for Mono 100w speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2017, 12:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best Amplifier for Mono 100w speaker

Hey guys, First Post Here...

I am planning to build my own powered DIY speaker.
My plan was to use two 8 ohm speakers (tweeter & woofer/mid bass), both with a power handling of 50w RMS.
To cross over these two, I considered a selfbuilt 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley crossover (12db/octave) with a separating frequency of 2000 hz.
Now I have some questions, I hope they aren't that dumb

The crossover diagram looks like the speakers are wired in parallel. Does the overall impedance now change to 4 ohms? So the amplifier has to deliver 4ohms?
I've found a Sure Mono T-AMP amplifier, which is rated for 200w RMS @ 3 ohm.
Would the amp be good to power my system, or is it overpowered?
Or would you suggest another amp?

I'd love to here your answers

(If it helps:
Tweeter: Dayton DC28F-8
Woofer: Dayton DC160-8)

Sorry for my English, not my native language
Old 1st February 2017, 06:26 PM   #2
ICG is online now ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2608 View Post
The crossover diagram looks like the speakers are wired in parallel. Does the overall impedance now change to 4 ohms? So the amplifier has to deliver 4ohms?
No, because the crossover will separate it. The nominal impedance stays at 8 Ohm. You have to keep in mind though, the impedance isn't flat, it fluctuates a lot with the frequency.

Quote:
I've found a Sure Mono T-AMP amplifier, which is rated for 200w RMS @ 3 ohm.
Would the amp be good to power my system, or is it overpowered?
Or would you suggest another amp?
It's usually much better to have more power than needed because you want to avoid clipping - which easily kills tweeters, even if the amp got a lot less rating than the speakers. But with 200W at 3 Ohm it will be only 75W at 8 Ohm. So it's still okay but would be better to get a more powerful amplifier to get a bit more headroom. Maybe look for an amplifier that doesn't need that low impedances for full power.

Quote:
I am planning to build my own powered DIY speaker.
My plan was to use two 8 ohm speakers (tweeter & woofer/mid bass), both with a power handling of 50w RMS.
To cross over these two, I considered a selfbuilt 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley crossover (12db/octave) with a separating frequency of 2000 hz. [...]
Your questions speak volumes, and they aren't silly. But they make it clear, you don't have experience in developing speakers. It is not simply 'I buy good drivers, calculate the crossover and it sounds great'. Calculating doesn't work because the change in the impedance over the frequency. And it doesn't account in any way to the phase. Or the non-linearities of the drivers. Or the different sound pressure level. Or the geometry of the baffle (Schallwand) -> Baffle Step.
If you don't have the equipment for measuring it (not that expensive), I'd strongly suggest you to stick to a already developed speaker or -kit.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

With 8-ohm speakers, you may want to use an amplifier board that can support higher supply voltage like this one:

TDA7498E 160Wx2 digital stereo amplifier board PBTL 220W mono channel amp car | eBay

Just use one channel. This amp also support PBTL (mono, two channels in parallel) operation though that won't help you much with 8-ohm speakers.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:49 PM   #4
ICG is online now ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravels View Post
With 8-ohm speakers, you may want to use an amplifier board that can support higher supply voltage like this one:

TDA7498E 160Wx2 digital stereo amplifier board PBTL 220W mono channel amp car | eBay
That would be a possible candidate. The amp delivers higher power at higher impedances, which makes it a possibly better choice at this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravels View Post
Just use one channel. This amp also support PBTL (mono, two channels in parallel) operation though that won't help you much with 8-ohm speakers.
Well, it's not a problem to use both channels in PBTL but - and there you are right - it won't help much either.

Hide this!Advertise here!