Which is the "best" for 12v? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2017, 01:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which is the "best" for 12v?

Hi.

3 years ago I bought a Lepai LP-2020A+. However, I believe that in this three years something newer has arrived.

So, if Im going to buy a new amp for my partywagon(12v), something that is efficient and "better" than the one I have today. Which board/model should I be looking at?
Old 31st January 2017, 02:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermelinen View Post
Hi.

3 years ago I bought a Lepai LP-2020A+. However, I believe that in this three years something newer has arrived.

So, if Im going to buy a new amp for my partywagon(12v), something that is efficient and "better" than the one I have today. Which board/model should I be looking at?
I'm interested in a battery powered system myself.

The 3 year thing seems irrelevant - it seems that, with these amps, you have to pay a little bit more if you want low distortion:

https://www.lifewire.com/lepai-2020a...review-3134838

I have a Trends Audio TA-10 which is specified as much lower distortion, and high efficiency. Subjectively, it does sound good, and it runs very cool, implying that the efficiency is indeed high, and battery life should be good.

To compare: I also have a couple of Dayton DTA-120, which are more powerful (they need 24v). The latter run much hotter, despite the claimed high efficiency, so I imagine the Dayton amps would drain batteries pretty quickly.
Old 31st January 2017, 11:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have a look at the new Lapai 2020 model which replaces the Tripath chip with a TI 3118
Lapai 2020 TI will work on a wide range of voltages and is more powerful than the old TA 2020.

Hide this!Advertise here!