Class D stereo to mono summing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. i'm trying to decide on a class-D amp chip to drive a single speaker (mono). Normally i would just use a couple resisters and combine the channels before going into the amplifier, but this round i'm looking at boards that offer bluetooth... which means i can't combine the channels before the amp. I'm not finding any class-D amplifiers with bluetooth 4.0 capabilities that offer a mono setup. Can the left and right output channels be safely combined with some sort of bridge or parallel circuit?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would say that you can not realistically combine any Class D output stages, at least not in any meaningful way that would give decent efficiency.

The best you could hope for with a combined Bluetooth/Class D amp would be to hack the board and see if the either the outputs of the BT receiver or the inputs to the power amp could be identified, isolated and combined.

It depends entirely on the specific board you were looking at, but it might be possible to set it up for a PBTL mono. But better minds on the forum than mine will have to help you with that.

That being said, it might be easier and better to use a mono amp board like the Sanwu 3118 that everyone seems to like with a bluetooth board like below. Then you would just need to sum the inputs like you said before.
APT-X Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Board Wireless Stereo Music Module iPhone PC

I recommend that you try to use a media player on your bluetooth enabled devices that allows the signal to be converted to mono before being transmitted. Otherwise: Get yourself an amplifier and a cheap little bluetooth receiver for audio from chineaea.
That way you can ensure you have proper quality and reliability. Trying to hack things like that can be fun but it's also dangerous. I tweaked with a board once and had the amplifier short out and output 170v AC on the subwoofer line. Luckily, it was only a bose lifestyle subwoofer. Beware.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.