I don't understand Amp specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Sorry, I am a real electronic noob.

I start to read electronics for dummies but I think it will take me a year to understand some basic principle.

How do you read amp specs ?
I would like to understand an know how you choose the speakers and voltage based on amp specs.

Lets take this one

sure - AA-AB32231 - 2 x 8Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board - TPA3110
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/brochures/320-329-parts-express-brochure.pdf

I don't understand page 13 specs.

Efficiency 2 lines
Vcc=12V, RL= 8ohm, Pout=5W - 86%
And
Vcc=12V, RL= 8ohm, Pout=10W - 86%

What means Pout ?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Output power, I have 2 lines
THD+N = 10%, f=1 kHz, Vcc = 16V - 15w
and
THD+N = 10%, f=1 kHz, Vcc = 13V - 10W

but 15W and 10 W at what ohms ? Is that the size of speakers ?

It is a 2x8W class D amplifier, but how do I know how many W have to be my 8 ohms speakers, and at what voltage.

Is there a simple online tutorial to understand this ?

LAST, I hope you do not laugh to much, for an other amp
Specificaties - Maxamp 12V Amplifier

Output Power
12V, 4Ohm, THD+N=1% --> 14W
12V, 4Ohm, THD+N=10% --> 17W

why with same voltage I have 14W and 17W ?

Your answer will greatly help me understand, I just start reading a lot

MANY THANK FROM 100% real noob.

Just some thoughts:

Pout is power output, in Watts. ( = V*I = V*V/R = I*I*R )
V is in volts
R is in ohms
I is in amperes

With a higher supply voltage the amplifier can deliver more power into a specific load.
(page 13, at the top, specifies some of the test conditions for the data on that page.

An amplifier can deliver more POWER when driven harder but the signal is not the same shape as the original. This is where the amplifier is "clipping" the waveshape...hence the 1% and 10% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) levels. 10% is more clipped than 1%.

A lot of amplifier IC manufacturers use the 10% THD to get a higher "rating" for their product and you will see this number quoted quite often in e-bay sales listings. (without reference to the 10% distortion associated with it)

(I usually look at the IC's data sheet and find the 1% ratings.)

Yes, there is a lot to learn.

Happy reading.

:)

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
It is a 2x8W class D amplifier, but how do I know how many W have to be my 8 ohms speakers, and at what voltage.

You don't have to match the max power output of the amp to the speakers (or the other way around). Usually it's preferable if the amp got more power than needed to avoid clipping, which is much worse than short term power overload for the speakers, clipping can be especally deadly for tweeters.

Besides that, your speakers aren't 8 Ohm. Every speaker has an impedance which fluctuates over the frequency (some speakers heavily, often caused by the crossover), so it's only an approximation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.