single drive/speaker portable system. NOOB HERE!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

So, I recently got the crazy idear of building a small speaker to have in the kitchen. and in the future, use it off grid with 12v, just to have as background music at a small party.
Never built something like this before, so I have read quite a bit on the subject, but still confused about a few thing. Also, it would be nice to get a second opinion to sanitycheck what i got so far.

my only requirements are that the sound is somewhat decent, cheap (<100$) and small. And I can contain everything in the box. (I know I'm asking for the impossible)

Speaker:
So, single full range driver. cheap, has the frequency range and plenty loud. also the case would only have to be 0.1 ft3 vented. With that some port that I still need to define dimentions on.
http://www.parts-express.com/faitalpro-3fe25-3-professional-full-range-woofer-4-ohm--294-1103

Amp:
Kemo M033N 18 Watt Universal Mono Amplifier Module
I heard that the TPA 31186 has the "best" sound of the class D?! should i go for that instead? seen them for <10$

Volume control:
10k audio (taper?) potentiometer? between the power and the amp.
I have seen some also have switch. Could i use that as an on/off switch too?

The mono signal:
How do I convert a phone stereo signal to mono, as in mixing both channels into one.
Would it work using a stereo to phono converter/adapter like these?
Stereo to Mono Adapter | eBay
or is there boards that mix it? and if there is, would it then make more sense to get a stereo amp(like the TPA 3118) and with the mixer. keeping stereo open for later upgrades.

I know how to solder a bit etc from playing around with a RasPi, but don't have access to any measuring tools.

Wall of text for you guys ;-)
I appreciate all input!

Last edited:
I'd go for a mini Karlsonator 0.53 made of 9mm plywood.
You can use dual Vifa TC9FD, which are easily available in europe.
I'd like to try the Dayton PA130 from Part's Express, but shipping to germany is to expensive (actually i made my Karlsonator with a removable baffle, only for the case that i once might get that driver).
Inside the cabinet is a sanwu TPA3118 mono pbtl module.
The signal is summed to mono just via two 10k resistors inside the cab.
There is DC-jack, RCA-jacks, a fuse holder and a volume pot on the backside of the cab.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.