Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Aux input for TPA3116 bluetooth amp
Aux input for TPA3116 bluetooth amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2016, 01:06 PM   #11
gec is offline gec  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a circuit driven by pin 1 of the Bluetooth module that controls the mute function on the TPA3116 amplifier chips (pin 12 on each). I don't know why it would be unhappy but maybe you need a dummy load on the left and right output of the op amp? There is also short circuit protection on those TPA3116 chips so check your speaker wires too. I'd probably reconnect the BT and get a different amplifier at this point as this is getting in deeper than I would recommend.

The 6x9 you have likely came from a Chiayo Dynasty portable PA system. I can't find a decent photo but I don't see any ports on it unless they were hidden behind the grille. If you have the original cabinet just copy it. The overall dimensions of the Dynasty would suggest about a 18 liter sealed enclosure. The Dynasty was spec'd down to 50hz so it's not going to give you the low end the subwoofer portion of that amp can give.

The Kenwoods you have are rated to 80hz. In the right size enclosure (big like a car trunk) they should play loud and sound pretty decent on their own with a 2 ch amp. But they won't do much below 150hz if confined to a small space. It might be interesting to give all of your cabinet space to the kenwoods (with no ports) and see how they do then.
Old 21st October 2016, 09:05 AM   #12
tallnutt is offline tallnutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.

I don't think its a cabinet or speaker problem not having enough bass on the stereo channels, I think its just the filter / crossover design of the board. It still sounds good except for the BT noise but I can live with that. What I'd really like is to be able to adjust the sub bass to allow a bit more mid to it and vice versa for the stereo channels. I know ppl do these mods but got no idea where to start on this board.

Given up on the aux input.. any tinkering just makes it cut out.

Ta.
Old 31st October 2016, 02:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

For anyone interested, I have managed to make the stereo channels more bassy. I changed the filter components (next to the volume control - two 100nF caps and two 39k resistors) to 200uf caps and 22k resistors. I'm not sure why but this raised the tone of the sub bass and gave the stereo more bass.. so quite happy now except for still having no aux and the BT being a bit noisy. Cheers all.
Old 3rd December 2016, 03:00 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

SOLVED!! I realised that the BT module sends a 1.5V signal from pin 1 to the amp when its got a connection, otherwise the amp is muted. Pin 10 has 1.5V permanently, so connected the two and could then tap into volume pot input for a line in connection.
Old 3rd December 2016, 03:02 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161203_103845.jpg (358.1 KB, 207 views)
Old 8th December 2016, 01:49 AM   #16
heller44 is offline heller44  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnutt View Post
For anyone interested, I have managed to make the stereo channels more bassy. I changed the filter components (next to the volume control - two 100nF caps and two 39k resistors) to 200uf caps and 22k resistors. I'm not sure why but this raised the tone of the sub bass and gave the stereo more bass.. so quite happy now except for still having no aux and the BT being a bit noisy. Cheers all.
200uF or 200nF?

Thanks for your work, playing with one of these now.
Old 21st December 2016, 08:21 PM   #17
evillela2001 is offline evillela2001
diyAudio Member

where on the board did you wire the aux input to?
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:16 AM   #18
orhanx is offline orhanx
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th November 2017, 12:29 AM   #19
cfaye is offline cfaye
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the post on this - I have one of these on the way.
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:33 PM   #20
goya94 is offline goya94
diyAudio Member

Hi, I just got it to work today, and it is pretty easy job, first you need to cut off signal from op amp SGM358, because you can burn your sound card. Signal from op amp is DC offseted and is about 1.5V on each channel. Then you place your input signal cable before 1K ressistors. You put ground wire on the ground of the PCB, best place for me was as shown in the picture, near potetiometer I scratched PCB and solder it there, for everything to work you need to bypass marked Y1 NPN SOT23 transistor that is enable signal for the TPA3116, signal comes from bluetooth module when sound module says that audio is present and puts about 1.7V in the transistor base and activates the enable signal of 5V on the amp, here are pictures, it's all soldered just temperarly till I get the case for the board and make a switch that changes input signal to amp bluetooth/aux.

Notice:
Double check your connection, solders, make sure that no voltage is present on the input signal cable with a multimeter. I'm not responsable if someone damages their amp or audio source device
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171203_114152.jpg (590.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203_114158.jpg (529.6 KB, 62 views)

Aux input for TPA3116 bluetooth ampHide this!Advertise here!