Volume Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I have put together my own TPA3118 amplifier.

I have a pair of floorstanding speakers (B&W P5) that I use with my television.

This is my work so far. A plastic suitcase. Top left corner is 5V (usb) relay that turns on the amp when I turn on my TV.
IMG_20160918_231345.jpg

20161003_190629.jpg

Right now I use the headphone out on my TV. The DAC on the TV is not very good. It has background noise and bass is somewhat tame.

I bought an optical to i2s board, and an i2s DAC. (Those cheap Sabre ones on ebay) This sounds incredibly great, considering the ridiculously low price tag. Almost on par with my much more expensive DAC's.

Problem is. Headphone jack on TV is volume controlled by the TV itself. Optical out is another matter. No volume control. SO? A potentiometer would solve this? But then again. Something about class d not liking a varying Z? Also, I would like NOT to have to get up every time I have to adjust the volume....

Another thing. When listening to the Sabre DAC, the TPA3118's are loud, but not VERY loud. I lowered gain to remove hiss. Maybe the volume control should be a preamp of sorts?

Any ideas? I'm quite handy with basic soldering.

Going with the Guangzhou Charlie theme of your build, I would suggest an ebay/aliexpress PGA2311 remote volume control kit (30USD). It gives you multiple inputs and is capable of gain up to 31dB.

It does add a bit of complexity because of the power supply requirements.

there are so many versions of that pga2311, can you plz let me know which one you used , and how is it working.i am trying to build one preamp right now.
thanks

there are so many versions of that pga2311, can you plz let me know which one you used , and how is it working.i am trying to build one preamp right now.
thanks

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with them.

Those PGA2311 kits looks nice. Can it run on a donut toroidal?

Sure, as long as it has the correct output voltage (12-18VAC center tapped). You only need a modest VA rating. If you don't already have the tranny something like this is probably more than adequate...

12V, 1A Center Tapped (6-0-6) Transformer | MPJA.COM

I have a box of trannys like those but none as low as 6 0 6. Will order one off ebay. That PGA solution seems to be what Im looking for. Apparently it doesnt have a varying Z from what I read. Only thing I dont like is most of the remotes that come with and the analog input selector.. will be switching at digital level.

Went a completely different approach. An HDMI CEC adapter. It supposedly emulates CEC control over stuff that does not support CEC/ARC. Which means I can control the volume with my TV remote. From what I understand I can also control volume on the optical out, on this adapter. So I can use my Optical -> Sabre DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.