TPA3255EVM to complete amp (advise needed)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got mine!

I received my TPA3255EVM a couple days ago. Ordered it right from TI so free shipping and no tax! I picked the MeanWell SE-600-48 power supply. Hooked it all up with 12 gauge wire and quality banana plugs and carefully adjusted the power supply output to 53.5 volts using a calibrated DVM. Source was a SanDisk Sansa playing flac files, an iPhone, and a PC via iTunes. Speakers were JBL EON 305 8 ohm. It sounds amazing even at lower volumes. Crisp clarity with full bass and sonic depth.

I've decied to add a Raspberry PI 3 with the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro pie hat with a linear 5 volt power supply. I'm giddy like a school girl. This rig is already mind blowing with the quality of sound and only gets slightly warm at extended loud volumes. To think I can significantly improve it with the DAC seems unreal.

I setup the PI3 sans the DAC to run Volumio V2 server with the client on my iPhone. I can browse my 5 TB NAS for audio files in every format imaginable, create playlists, and control volume in real-time all from my iPhone. There's a client for the PC/Mac too.

The DAC+ Pro arrives in two days. Can't wait. :D

I received my TPA3255EVM a couple days ago. Ordered it right from TI so free shipping and no tax! I picked the MeanWell SE-600-48 power supply. Hooked it all up with 12 gauge wire and quality banana plugs and carefully adjusted the power supply output to 53.5 volts using a calibrated DVM. Source was a SanDisk Sansa playing flac files, an iPhone, and a PC via iTunes. Speakers were JBL EON 305 8 ohm. It sounds amazing even at lower volumes. Crisp clarity with full bass and sonic depth.

I've decied to add a Raspberry PI 3 with the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro pie hat with a linear 5 volt power supply. I'm giddy like a school girl. This rig is already mind blowing with the quality of sound and only gets slightly warm at extended loud volumes. To think I can significantly improve it with the DAC seems unreal.

I setup the PI3 sans the DAC to run Volumio V2 server with the client on my iPhone. I can browse my 5 TB NAS for audio files in every format imaginable, create playlists, and control volume in real-time all from my iPhone. There's a client for the PC/Mac too.

The DAC+ Pro arrives in two days. Can't wait. :D

How are you liking it so far, I just received my TPA3251D2EVM which I believe is very similar to the design of the 3255 but less power. Kinda regretting not getting the 3255 but wanted to save a bit on the power supply.

Has anyone compared stereo to mono output on these boards?

How are you liking it so far, I just received my TPA3251D2EVM which I believe is very similar to the design of the 3255 but less power. Kinda regretting not getting the 3255 but wanted to save a bit on the power supply.

I love it. It has way more power than my large room needs. Again that is with 8 ohm speakers. I especially like that I can run it at low volume levels and still hear clean, balanced music. It doesn't muddy up like the other 3 amps I have. Two are home built and one is a McIntosh MC2002.

The 3251 is from the same class, just lower power. It should sound really good and would probably match the power output of the 3255 if 4 ohm speakers are used.

Has anyone compared stereo to mono output on these boards?

I'm considering a second unit to drive a sub-woofer in mono mode. I post back if that actually happens.

KG

I'm bumping this old thread to ask if anyone knows of a commercially available product similar to what the OP put together. See posts ## 16, 42, and 59.

I'm quite happy with the Volumio app. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Kali reclocker and Piano 2.1 DAC. There are a lot of options for hardware. I use my iPhone to control volume, pause/play, browse my song library on my NAS, play web radio, and it also supports DNLA and Apple Airplay. It's pretty inexpensive too.

Hi, I saw this module in the TI when searching for good ICs to power my 2 * 100W @ 8ohm speakers, which I think is the best for it with a good price (correct me if I 'm wrong and tell me better options). And the fact that I can change the jumpers to change the modes is excellent for the long run if I try to couple two of these in mono but as I am a student and money is not that much I was thinking on diy through the schematics they offer to lower the price.
I know there is some similar Chinese ones, but they are locked to one time of mode 2.0 or 2.1 and it has cheaper components too.
Should I try or is it to much trouble for me to handle?

Last edited:
Bill poster, I recommend you don't give too much credence to that particular article.
Sure, the TPA32xx series amplifiers are cutting-edge, and highly regarded, but that suggested power supply is out of step with alternative power supplies recommended here on this forum - by people who have spent time testing the alternatives. That article recommends a cap-bank power supply - but this topology really shines more with Class A and Class AB amps.
Class D amps tend to respond better to regulated power supplies, with additional benefits sometimes gained if such a supply is also low noise.

The TPA32xx amps, however, have shown a tolerance to higher noise figures, so any decent-quality SMPS should work well with these amps. For the TPA3251 or TPA3255, a power supply frequently recommended on this forum is the Meanwell LRS-350-48.

Regarding the 3e-audio TPA3250 amp, yes, this is no longer in production, but you can currently join a group-buy for the TPA3251 or TPA3255 from 3e-audio, here -
Group buy: TPA3251_TPA3255 Amplifier board and ADAU1701 DSP Pre-Amp board
The 3e-audio amps are of equal quality (some might argue better) to the EVM boards from TI. If you can still order the EVM board with a promotional discount, the prices will be equivalent, and then you can make your choice based on preference, and lead time.

Regarding 3251 vs 3255 - the 3251 is slightly more compatible with 4 ohm speakers, the 3255 slightly more compatible with 8 ohm speakers.

Another Q.. has anyone stuck at tube buffer in front?
I will be testing this, myself, in the future once I have my 3250 EVM set up.
I can tell you that quite a few members of the Audiokarma forum have found most benefit from tube buffers/preamps when connected to a Class D amp which has a "clinical" sound signature - and this is certainly the case with TPA3116/3118 amps. I will be unpopular with TPA3116 fans for saying that, so take it FWIW.

The TPA3255 will work at voltages between 18 and 53VDC. The Korg Nutube 6P1 needs between 12 and 24VDC.

So if you really wanted to, I suppose you could choose a single 24V power supply ...
but like most preamps I suspect the Nutube will perform best with its own low-noise supply,
and also the TPA3255 will not sound its best at such a low supply voltage.

So ideally, give the Nutube its own power supply - something like this LD1085-based regulator -
Tr-PS-1 low-voltage, regulated 12Vdc power supply
or this LT3083-based regulator -
Other kits – K & K Audio
Both of these kits include the transformer on the PCB, which will help save space in your case.

Thanks v much, and adding all those options. I think a straight build without a buffer maybe the way. Keep it simple for now. I spotted a chinese board yesterday with the power supply included on one board, not a ti evaluation one, altho using their chip. I'll see if I saved the link.

I think a straight build without a buffer maybe the way.
Yes, by all means try a tube buffer later, but keep it in a separate enclosure, for flexibility.

I spotted a Chinese board yesterday with the power supply included on one board
That's novel. I can't find such a product, myself, so would be interested if you can provide a link.
There's a Chinese TPA3255 board which has been broadly available on Aliexpress and eBay for some time now - but just be aware that this board has been reported as not being up to the quality level of the EVM and 3e-audio boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.