TPA3116 4.1 Amplifier subwoofer issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, just came across this forum & hoping someone can help me out. I recently finished building an arcade cabinet & decided to use one of the TPA3116 4.1 red boards to power the speakers & sub woofer I have. It's been working perfectly for the last couple of weeks but tonight I noticed the sub wasn't working. The four speakers still had sound coming out of them.

I checked all the connections & everything was fine. I unplugged the power & left it for a few minutes. Plugged it back in & the sub was working again! It stayed working for 10-20 secs then quickly faded out and then nothing again.

Anyone come across this before? Could it be shitty capacitors, amp IC or something else entirely?

The sub I'm using is one I built myself using a 150w driver I picked up locally.

Before I fork out & buy another board, I'd like to try & fix this one first. I'm rather handy with a soldering iron but get a bit lost when it comes to fault finding problems like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Seems like more likely an overheating issue ... do you check the temperature of the amplifier and isnt it running hotter than usual before it?
None of the components seem to be any hotter than normal, it stops woking pretty quickly so it's hard to tell.

Update, I re-soldered the speaker headers and also replaced the capacitors (just in case) and it made no difference. Not going to bother wasting any more time on this POS and will just buy another board, hopefully that one will last longer than this one. :h_ache:

Thanks for the help anyways guys. :cheers:

Just a quick update, I picked up another amplifier board, this time opting for the blue TPA3116 board with bluetooth. I won't be using the BT, but overall this board seems to be of a much better build quality than the red board. Also like that it has a single master volume control. :up:

So far so good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.