48v dual voltage and the IRS2092

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

So I think I already know the answer to my question, but I thought I would confirm.

I bought one of the IRS2092 dual voltage boards off of ebay: Assembled IRS2092 Mono Amplifier Board DC Power Supply 350W | eBay

I also bought a 350w 48v power supply. The specs on the listing say that the operating voltage is DC + -55V, but the board says "45v-65v". When I measured the output of the power supply I was indeed getting +- 48v.

When I hooked up the board, I'm reading more like +- 24v on the positive and negative board inputs.

So I am thinking that the problem is that I didn't account for +48v to -48v which would mean I actually need ~96v. OR the board is incorrect and I actually do need +-55v and I am actually 7 to 10 volts shy.

Are either of those correct or am I way off base?

Thank you for helping out a n00b.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello matin
Welcome to diyaudio.com!

The amplifier requires a dual (symmetrical) power supply that outputs +xx and –xx DC Volts in respect to the center 0V rail.
I am afraid that the power supply you bought is a single supply +xxDCV in respect to it’s 0V rail.

George

Attachments

• amp.PNG
    amp.PNG
    621.9 KB · Views: 353
Joined 2002
Paid Member
mattin
This PSU is single ended.
The marking is +V and -V simply because the outputs are DC floating.
48Vx7.3A=350W.
(2x48)x7.3A would make 700W

Sanity check:
Play this amplifier at low levels. Measure the supply rails. Such an amplifier working at 2-3Watts can not load a 350W PSU to the extend of halving it’s output.

George

Attachments

• Output.PNG
    Output.PNG
    18.9 KB · Views: 316
Ok, thanks for all the replies.

So would it be insane to buy a second psu (like the first) and wire the +vcc of the first psu and the -vcc of the second psu to the amp, or will I still see the same voltage drop? Or am I just stuck buying a 700w power supply? Thanks for all the help.

I have built an L15D irs2092 based amp and used two 48V supplies (meanwell NES-350-48) wired in series with the PGND connected in the middle of the series. I am currently troubleshooting a ground loop (my RCAs accidentally contacted enclosure ground which I did not want) but otherwise seems to work just fine. Make sure if you do this you adjust both supplies to an equal voltage before connecting the amplifier modules.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.