Digital Ammeter Not Reading Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
True ok but would the multimeter not read it. I would think it would read the peak it is drawing?

Have you tried the ac setting?

Edit - Just thought of something else. Is this a class D with a differential output like a bridge? In that case, the supply currents may not go through ground at all!

Jan

Last edited:
Have you tried the ac setting?

Edit - Just thought of something else. Is this a class D with a differential output like a bridge? In that case, the supply currents may not go through ground at all!

Jan

In a single supply system where could the supply current return if not on ground? The current is this low. Really.

DMM in DC setting measures average current. This is absolutely perfect for calculating run time for battery. No error.

Thanks pafi. The current was around 0.05-0.1 when I cranked it right up. Even if this is the average current, I am very impressed with this amplifier. Sounds incredible and Im thirsty for more power! Haha I want to see what this amplifier has got to offer. 19-24v is apparently this amplifiers best range and I would like to reach that :)

Edit-
I found a dc-dc voltage step up. Looks good high efficiency, up to 5A.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2569

Last edited:
I'm running my TPA3116 at about 24V. Most of the time it is using around 0.1A. Under sustained heavy bass at full volume I do sometimes see 1.5A or so.

I ran my setup for over 5 hours cranked as loud as it would go without distortion and used 54 Watt-hours according to my panel meter. My battery charger agreed with that.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Sweet what do you think about the step up to 24v. Will it work? I hope so as I've already purchased it. :/
I felt in a rush because they go on holiday tomorrow and the store closes down for a few days.

Having that each voltage should help with the bass right? That's the only thing it starts to fail at high volumes.

If you look at the spec sheet for the TPA3116 chip it's maximum power output increases as input voltage increases - if you are capable of using that power then it will definitely help!

The converter should work though I'd be interested to see how clean the power coming out of it is.

I'm not using bluetooth at present - my board just has a 3.5mm input. I'm running an old Android phone with BubbleUPnP which I remote control from my "real" phone. Much longer range as it is WiFi rather than bluetooth!

I have seen another thread on here though with someone troubleshooting a noisy bluetooth setup...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.