50W x2 TK2050 Distortion Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm in the process of building my own stereo HIFI amp. For the power amp I've purchased this 50w x2 TK2050 amp from eBay. I've connected it to a 24v 4amp Switch mode power supply, 8 ohm speakers and an MP3 source. However even at very low volume I'm getting a lot of distortion (clipping). I'm also getting some noise when I unplug the MP3 player.
I've checked the obvious stuff like trying different speakers. I've tried 3 different power supplies one of which I use regularly without problem. I've check all of my wiring. Disconnected everything and reconnected. Everything I do still gives the same problem. I suspect a fault with the amp which come from China pre-assembled but I wanted to check with you guys to see if I've missed something obvious.

They recommend a supply voltage from 12 to 28v (suggesting 19v) for 4 to 8 ohm loads. These boards seem to typically end up being used in car amplifier applications so I would have thought a 24v 4amp supply would have been fine. I tried it with 24v and 5amps and even a low power 12v supply the results were identical.
The HK supplier gave me a partial refund but I'm not sure whether to buy another one.
Thanks for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.