What Class-D amp give best sound?

Not Loads

I've got 4 D class amps. Included is a Sure 32313 $ TI 3251EVM. Both powered by a Meanwell 36v-600w ps. Does the Hypex NC400 sound loads better than either? Thanks.

Comparing my own NC400 with dual power supply to my Sure 32511 and 32512 I would have to say no huge differences. The Hypex is very controlled and doesn't have any basic flaws but I've been listening to the 32511 for a few days now and it is very very good. I will be able to expand on that by the middle of next week.

Hi Arthur.

I have never test and hear the modules you did mention, the goal was to get the diy made class d and some ideas to made them etc, maybe the name is wrong, and give confusion, I am afcourse convinced that these modules are wel made and that the people behind it di put all there effort in it, I amd quite new to class D, but after some reading I think it is interesting, special with the new carbide mosfets.

But the lineair hybrid amp I did made in the past with only plate followers (yes I wdid rule out almost every feedback) did sound the best ever, using a 2 mu high current tube and loaded with mu followers and dc coupled to mosfets with a servo chip and the circlotron allfet who did sound not so well as the all plate amp.

But time is a issue because do care for mother .

regards

Hi, do you have any schematics of this project, I would like to see how it works ?

Optimized work I get this HD with only prepost feedback, it use a triangle carrier, it is not ucd version. Pic 1 is 3 amp output, and pic2 is 16 amp output 8 ohms. full bridge 3 level shifted switches,

You see it can also be low in hd, see also the last pic, where the shaper is removed and the difference.

class d is quite a challenging technology with quite good outcomes these days.

regards

Hmm, I wonder what is sound difference by listener, Pre filter feedback (not so good impulse response, filter not in the control) and post filter (UCD type) feedback.

Ncore is post filter feedback but very low THD. Maybe having the most simple UCD post filter feedback (THD about 0,2 %) sounds best due to good impulse response (phase, delay, etc)..

Some people here claims UCD400 exhausts people, is this because too LOW THD? Maybe sone distortion is needed for listening hmm

This is precise why I do simulate and look at what is best, sharpness in the highs is because there is feedback not so effective, but to much and amp sounds dead, so I go on and see what I come with later.

I did, with the use of a 24dB version, did also bessel here, and not bad, bessel has constand fase over bandwidth, but have less output demodulation.
Do not care about the 60 Khz peak, it is due to the simulation and can not find where and why. it is not harmonic.

Why would too much feedback make amp sound "dead". what is definition of "dead" sound? Do you refer to too bad impulse response due to feedback (and bad delay of high frequecy signals) .. All in all high feedback amp has bad impulse response (non repetitive signal have infinite spectrum theoretically) So impulse resposne to be good you need filter inside loop, and loop gain should be relatively low (and THD not that low)

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder what is sound difference by listener, Pre filter feedback (not so good impulse response, filter not in the control) and post filter (UCD type) feedback.

Ncore is post filter feedback but very low THD. Maybe having the most simple UCD post filter feedback (THD about 0,2 %) sounds best due to good impulse response (phase, delay, etc)..

Some people here claims UCD400 exhausts people, is this because too LOW THD? Maybe sone distortion is needed for listening hmm

Hi

Mine purpose was no feedback like the hybrid, and these also have not that low impedance, but sound wel.

I can include a postfeedback as well, most is the setup of lead lag, because the poles of low pass need to corrected, most with post feedback the higher frequencys are not so low HD, the open loop get less there, so I am busy now with 5 level who has low distortion of his own.

Do not forget, I use air coils, and these are lineair with ceramic and oil filled or mkt caps, I think a amp with very low hd needs a very high open loop, maiking it lineair before feedback as possible is the way to go for good sound. All these error corrections do notmake a good sounding amp persé.

The triangle I go now make with a adder and some digital stuff like d flipflop.

regards

Last edited:
Why would too much feedback make amp sound "dead". what is definition of "dead" sound? Do you refer to too bad impulse response due to feedback (and bad delay of high frequecy signals) .. All in all high feedback amp has bad impulse response (non repetitive signal have infinite spectrum theoretically) So impulse resposne to be good you need filter inside loop, and loop gain should be relatively low (and THD not that low)

Dead sound I mean with it is tamed, to much tamed, things like air and deepness but also resolution is less in feedbacked amps, I admit, I do talk about lineair amplifiers where current feedback do a lot better, it's lack of IM and independence of bandwidth is inherent of this type of feedback, however dc drift is more a problem.

Class d are switching, and only the postfeedback can be seen as a real feedback who touch audio.

Mine hybrid who plays here has a tremendous deepness and resolution, I have test it with feedback with a high end listener present, it was clearly less beautifull sound, like driving a car with your feed on the break, that is feedback. I do not talk about the all plate amp.

But in class d I do take it in considering as test.

regards

Last edited:
Comparing my own NC400 with dual power supply to my Sure 32511 and 32512 I would have to say no huge differences. The Hypex is very controlled and doesn't have any basic flaws but I've been listening to the 32511 for a few days now and it is very very good. I will be able to expand on that by the middle of next week.

Thanks. I've had the TI 3251 in the chain for a week or so. Today I'll switch it out for the Sure 2x400. I'm looking to buy a few more of these modules for a 4 way active build in the near future.
Feedback always appreciated.

Further Listening

Thanks. I've had the TI 3251 in the chain for a week or so. Today I'll switch it out for the Sure 2x400. I'm looking to buy a few more of these modules for a 4 way active build in the near future.
Feedback always appreciated.

The NC400 just has no faults. It is completely revealing of everything in the chain before them.
The sure 32512 is sounding very nice. It has especially strong bass. It is also quite pleasant, no fatigue.
Unfortunately the 32511 has developed a 60hz hum. It was perfect when first run so i don't think it is anything in my work but... The hum showed up after about a week. Fairly low level so I an still very impressed with the overall sound but will need to track the hum down.

I have a Sure 2x400. It occasionally motorboats. A fella here told me what the fix was but the terms he used were not understandable due to my lack of knowledge. And there about half the cost of the TI boards which is a plus.

You need to sync them, or the supply is cause, like the old fashion motorboat problems, who is because of earth problems, bad connected amps, earth loops...

Dead sound I mean with it is tamed, to much tamed, things like air and deepness but also resolution is less in feedbacked amps, I admit, I do talk about lineair amplifiers where current feedback do a lot better, it's lack of IM and independence of bandwidth is inherent of this type of feedback, however dc drift is more a problem.

regards

No, when the slew rate is high enough. It is simple to get high slew rate in linear amplifier with global negative feedback.

closed account
Joined 2007
So far for me the best class D amp I have heard in my system is the new Ice Edge 1200AS2 module. It doesn't have the sharpness in the highs that I have heard in every other class D so far.

Did you listen to NC500 based amps, and with which input boards? (stock ones, custom buffer ones?). Or NC1200 based ones like the Mola Mola Kaluga monos?

Roberto

I'm sorry to have to post this but I think buyers should be aware of my experience in the last couple of weeks with Connex, I have sent them emails regarding info of the aux pin-outs on both amp and smps and they just don't reply or they say that my emails go to their spam, their products are good but if you have any problems you are on your own.

I have my "Tutu" back from a friend I sold them to a year or so ago. He bought 5 of my power amps and one of my preamps. He wasn't using Tutu and I need something with low end grunt to drive 12" woofers and Altec 511B horns with Italian Faital pro compression drivers.

Tutu monoblocks use the hifimediy Tripath T3 150W Class D modules. They are very cut down with no speaker protection. I use linear 300W supplies with 2 X 22,000uf Mundorf M-Lytic caps. They sound superb with no upper treble brightness what I have come to expect from Tripath modules. The horns Xover from 1100hZ and the Class D amps actually make them Sound smoother by beefing up the lower end.

I would recommend the T3 modules and they are rediculiously cheap. I powered some Quad 63s with them and played them loud. But the quads short cct. protection kicked in and blew up both modules. Hifimediy replaced both modules free of charge. Great service.

Last edited:
if the circlotron is ready then I go try a class d design, I have a simple one who do work nicely and is self oscillating, but can also work with a triangle, the first approach has lower HD, and then the quenstion how it sounds, I do not yet now. Seen the transition to these new class D amps, I need to deep myself in it.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1612 Nov. 09 23.01.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1612 Nov. 09 23.01.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 780