Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

what D amp give best sound.
what D amp give best sound.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2018, 08:22 PM   #291
jencelo is offline jencelo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnkeys View Post
I have built an nCore 400.
A class D audio cda-120 with a standard toroid power supply
A Texas Instruments TA55630 based amp with a Mean Well switching supply and a couple of single ended triodes, one a 2A3.
I listen to Magnepan III's, Spica TC-60's and Large Advents.
I have settled on a classic AB amp with high bias point (Van Alstine) for the Magnepans. The nCore was just too relentlessly revealing... Very impressive and great as a tool to expose a recording or signal chain but too much for relaxing.
The cda-120 is very clean and pretty sounding in the highs but not enough power for the Maggies... Fine with the others but a little lean in the bass on all of them.
The TI based amp with the SMPS was fine with all but not a stand out in any area... That one has moved on. The nCore matches beautifully with the Advents where it's power slams the bass and the phenomenal detail pushes through the old school tweeters.
Among the ones I have tried, I agree with you.

NC400 is very impressive. Very strong and it controls the speakers like crazy. I doubt there is any speaker that it cannot control. However, it gets tiring for me after 30 minutes or so.

TI based amps are nice too. Though their highs gets irritating kinda. Hard to explain but I think it could not really do well on the HFs for me.

The only amp that I still enjoy to listen is based on Tripath TA2022 chip. Although I am not a bass freak, I will say the bass is not their strongest point BUT the vocals/midrange is amazing IMO. It is very smooth (a little slow too maybe) and romantic sounding. I can listen to it without any problems for hours. They are not going to rock your speakers and probably will have a hard time driving the Maggies but if you listen to your music at low volumes, you may be OK with them.

Too bad Tripath is not around anymore but you can still buy their boards/chips.

I do not care too much about the measurements. I am sure NC400 will measure way better than the Tripath but I like the sound of my Topping TP60 better than NC400. And it is a lot cheaper.
Old 9th April 2018, 08:06 AM   #292
GUNFU is offline GUNFU  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Power Supplies in all comparisons were the same?
Old 9th April 2018, 06:09 PM   #293
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Maybe a moderator can move this to the thread here so it is less a mess. to many tread I have who is not active anymore, the nabure radiation problems can also be deleted.

Class D investigation.

For what I do with class D this tread is better fitted on thread from link.

thanks.
Old 10th April 2018, 10:00 PM   #294
pitchinwedge is offline pitchinwedge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDK View Post
This is quite a long thread allready and very few answers the original question like you do: Which Class D amp sounds best? Hats of to you, because of that.
But you could have classified the other amps too.
Yes, back to the original question. Which DIY Class D amp sounds best? Been reading through tons of threads in the Class D section... it's all quite mind-numbing to be honest.

Quote:
Then I did LCīs new high end module (Now NewClassD) with discrete opamps in the input, in a dual mono setup. That sounded very good, but were very expensive.
Quote:
I am running the UcD180 with balanced inputs, they are silent as the grave, but they dont do saxophones that well. That is a good test for listening fatigue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnkeys View Post
I have built an nCore 400.
The nCore was just too relentlessly revealing... Very impressive and great as a tool to expose a recording or signal chain but too much for relaxing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencelo View Post
NC400 is very impressive. Very strong and it controls the speakers like crazy. I doubt there is any speaker that it cannot control. However, it gets tiring for me after 30 minutes or so.

TI based amps are nice too. Though their highs gets irritating kinda. Hard to explain but I think it could not really do well on the HFs for me.
The main issue is not everyone agrees on what sounds good. Most seem to say the units they built sound good, but the "reviews" and descriptions are limited. The most common problems being listener fatigue or lack of bass. Neither is appealing.

The more I think about it, I suppose I'm searching for is a DIY alternative to the NAD M27. I was really impressed with the M27's sound. Paired with the M17 pre/pro, it was dead silent, powerful, huge soundstage, accurate, and not harsh or fatiguing in the least. Dare I say a bit sweet overall?

I thought perhaps the NC400 modules might be similar to the M27. Apparently not based on jencelo's and bassnkeys' assessment of the NC400's they built. Fatigue being the main culprit. Oh well, the NC400 modules are expensive and wouldn't have saved me much over the M27 anyways.

Can anyone share a comparison between the NC400 and TI TPA3255/3251?
Old 12th April 2018, 06:09 AM   #295
hopkins is offline hopkins  France
diyAudio Member

Listening fatigue on the Nc400? Sounds like you have issues with your source. I have never experienced this with my Ncore amps...

I have the fxaudio version of the tpa3250 and it is no match for the Ncore which are more refined. However, there are probably better implementations of those TPA amps than the fxaudio.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:22 AM   #296
diyAudio Member

Maybe fatigue wasn't the right word. Nc400 is NOT bright at all, they are actually on the warmer side. However, after 30 minutes or so, I would need to turn the volume down. With TP60, I can listen to music without any change for hours. (Yes same volume levels). Though I am not bashing the nc400s or TIs. They are a great amps. I just like the Tripath chips better.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:27 AM   #297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe fatigue wasn't the right word. Nc400 is NOT bright at all, they are actually on the warmer side. However, after 30 minutes or so, I would need to turn the volume down. With TP60, I can listen to music without any change for hours. (Yes same volume levels). Though I am not bashing the nc400s or TIs. They are a great amps. I just like the Tripath chips better.

I have exactly the opposite experience with tpa3116 amps I have tried...

The tpa3250 is not as bright as those, but definitely not as transparent as the hypex.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:33 AM   #298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
I have exactly the opposite experience with tpa3116 amps I have tried...

The tpa3250 is not as bright as those, but definitely not as transparent as the hypex.
Something was not right with the TPA3116's HF I had. It was the Sure board. Some high frequencies was sounding off for me. Maybe it was the faulty board but I doubt it.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:35 AM   #299
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Something was not right with the TPA3116's HF I had. It was the Sure board. Some high frequencies was sounding off for me. Maybe it was the faulty board but I doubt it.
Yes, I have used a variety of sure modules and came to the same conclusion...
Old 12th April 2018, 04:32 PM   #300
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees52 View Post
Maybe a moderator can move this to the thread here so it is less a mess. to many tread I have who is not active anymore, the nabure radiation problems can also be deleted.

Class D investigation.

For what I do with class D this tread is better fitted on thread from link.

thanks.
Stuff about build, diy design, technologies and self edicated solutions for class D is now only on Class D investigation thread. no talks about the excisting modules but diy modules where we can talk about what is the best path to lower HD and class of warmth in the sound as well, including diy builds and the resulting sound, also openloop with digital generated triangles or comparator generated ones.. there are much kinds of tryouts and patents we can discuss here and post simulations..

We can hier going on with commercial modules.

what D amp give best sound.Hide this!Advertise here!