Are ClassDAudio Amps Optimized For 8 Ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your replies, I'm looking at buying an sds-254 kit. I'm no good at diy but I knew I'd get better answers on this site than the others. Is Class D different to SS or Tubes in that impedance optimization isn't such an issue? Most of the people raving about the ClassDAudio kits seem to be using panels with crazy impedance issues. Just worried I'll lose some musicality with my speakers, 8 ohm/91db/very benign impedance curve.

How particular are you? Because there are two answers to this question

1) Will an amplifier work over a range of load impedances? Of course, and often will do 2 ohm or 16 ohm without you hearing any issues

2) Is there a particular load impedance at which the amplifier works best? Yes. Best in terms of output power or distortion, or a combination of both. Not straightforward, because usually higher impedances give less distortion and lower impedances (up to a point) gives more power. Class D has another issue of output filter - optimized for a certain load impedance, using higher load causes insufficient filtering, smaller load causes roll off. (Some amps have the option to change the filter setting).

The webpage for the SDS 254 says:

RMS Power Per Channel 8 Ohms 125W RMS X 2
RMS Power Per Channel 4 Ohms 250W RMS X 2
RMS Power in Bridge Mode 500W Into 8 Ohm Single Channel

So while it is power-optimized for 4 ohm, it is still guaranteed to push 125W into 8 ohm, no ambiguity here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.