TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Interesting to see these converters now being sold as 40A modules, they where 30A a year ago and even only 20A without fan and single-core inductor. Keep in mind, current rating is primary limited, so at 10Vin the 1800W converter only does 400W input side * efficiency (like 0.85) = 340W

It must be the inflation that affects more-and-more details of our life. When the truth is only a matter of the perception of those listening, the absolute value may become "fake news".

As can be concluded from this, always be skeptical when it sounds less likely and apply a good operational margin. The module discussed is really cheap for such a performance and is most likely sold by a trading company not well aware of the technical realities.

Hi everyone,

The Tpa3255 board from 3e audio is unavaiable for some weeks now on their ebay's webstore, do you got any intel about any new batch release date or an other providing way ?

They've said they'll have them back this week, so that's good.

Now for my stupid question. How would I use that board as an finished amp, since it doesn't have a way to control the gain, ie no volume pot. Is it just running at a fixed gain all the time?

Do I need a separate preamp, and if so what cheap Chinese board with amazing specs do people recommend to do that?

That or a DAC with digital volume control (provided it has the proper gain). I’ve run one off a preamp/streamer with good results.

How do I find out what gain the board is (I was thinking about the je audio tpa3255 board), and how to calculate what kind of preamp to use? I saw that the tpa3255evm uses NE5532 opamps and there are NE5532 boards available on ebay but not exactly sure what I'll need or if there are better options.

I'm not really a fan of having everything set up with massive gain with no physical volume knob! My Focusrite 6i6 audio interface has a knob on the breakout box for the monitor outputs, but I'd rather have a control on the preamp or amp as well.

Hi All,

Just bought a new TPA3255 2.1 board from
2018 TPA3255 2.1 Amplifier Board -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
2018 TPA3255 2.1 Amplifier Board -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to Clipboard"]2018 TPA3255 2.1 Amplifier Board
2018 TPA3255 2.1 Amplifier Board -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to Clipboard[/URL]

The amp have 3 knobs. One for bass and only affect the subwoofer channel. One knob for treble which only affect the stereo channel.
And a master volume knob.

My setup is using Visaton FR58 + GF200 8ohm
Power adapter is 48v 3a

After listening to more than 24hours , I notice the amp is very clean and definitely a major improvement compare to TPA3116/8 , TDA7498 and even STA326

But there's loud pop when turn on and that's my complain. Turn off doesn't have pop

Suggestions for improvement/mod:
- instead of bass circuit. A simpler low pass filter with volume knob is enough. Less component
- remove treble knob ? Less component
- can use smaller input capacitor value as high pass filter

Note: the step down regulator use for 12v is XL8005

Hope it help those who looking for this amp

How do I find out what gain the board is (I was thinking about the je audio tpa3255 board), and how to calculate what kind of preamp to use? I saw that the tpa3255evm uses NE5532 opamps and there are NE5532 boards available on ebay but not exactly sure what I'll need or if there are better options.

I'm not really a fan of having everything set up with massive gain with no physical volume knob! My Focusrite 6i6 audio interface has a knob on the breakout box for the monitor outputs, but I'd rather have a control on the preamp or amp as well.

I am not sure what the gain is for the 3e board to be honest, but the owner is a user here so you can ask him directly. But if you're using your 6i6 as a frontend that already provides a preamp and you don't really need anything else...

Hi

i just measured the Chinese YJ TPA3255 board and its about 27db GAIN. my TI3251EVm board has about 26db.
so its very loud:D . do not use fixed output from a Cd player or DAC.... its about 2,1Vrms over RCA as FauxFrench wrote.
for this boards no preamp is needed. i personally use the amp over pc (tidal, foobar..etc...) and my DAC (RCA - connnection) to regulate the volume and it works fine

so my interpretaion is that the 3e board will have about the same gain.

chris

Hi, I developed 2 version amp TPA325x
Now build new version, are there any questions?
Gerbers after testing will be available to all.
Conditions:
1) Output inductors based on RM8 Epcos
2) 1st stabiliяer - LM5007 or use 12v output from PSU

Your wishes?

Sorry for my bad English))))

Attachments

• 3255llcpsu.jpg
    3255llcpsu.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 743
  • 3255White.jpg
    3255White.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
Question about PFFB,

Has there been tests about the sonic (subjective) impact of PFFB ? I understand that it improves THD figures, especially with not so perfect inductors, but I would like to know if:
- somebody experienced some sonic/subjective drawback (better without PFFB than with it) ?
- if it still has benefits if using "reasonable" quality coils like the ones used in the discussed designs in this thread ?

I have to decide whether to include it or not in my TAS3251 design, and the PFFB adds to the size of the BOM and complexity of the circuit.

Best regards,

JMF

JM

The post feedback network reduces closed loop gain a lot, hence without additional amplification by the good OP, the DAC of TAS3251 has no chance to provide 5-10Vpeak.

This reduces a lot the interest of the PFFB or of the chip, as the benefit of the TAS3251 is the included DSP AND DAC AND Amp. If you have to add additional amplification in the loop :-(

This is described / explained in some application note ?

JMF