TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

How is the availability on these chips now? Is anyone planning to sell any amps with this chip soon? I think its time to bring this technology up from the little league ;)
I love the tpa3116 (and the 5630) cards but I need a lot more clean power for party events. I think finally the tpa3255 is the chip that is going to give us an amplifier that does it all!

That cooling scenario could actually be a challenge! I think you mentioned crest factor earlier and I certainly isn't going to use it at max that much so I don't think real world scenario is going to be that extreme. Have you looked into Corsair's maglev fans coming to the pc market? Very exciting technology and very quiet! I am planning to put 2 of these amps into a monster of a audio amplifer case so size isn't that important to me. Since this chip has the power to outshine a full size expensive power amplifier I think the tpa chips will stop beeing looked upon as a novelty amplifier.

The TPA3255 is the higher voltage version of the TPA3251, so that's why? :)

For lower voltages the TPA3251 is more efficient due to lower RDSon - i.e. for battery powered systems.

The new TPA3245 might also be an option for up to 30V.

I wonder what's more relevant in real world usage, test plot from figure 1 or 2. Is only the AES-17 filter missing in figure 2?

There still is this 3R3+100nF RC on the GVDD gate drive supply in the datasheet examples where all the EVMs go for 0R+100nF with additional 10uH in line with VDD - which measured better, from what i've heard. Curious...

Lots of weight.. :scratch1::D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3255_wip.jpg
    3255_wip.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4,143
i really beleve this chip could be a contender for the hypex ncore your 3251 is great sounding my only problem is a slight lack of power to my 8ohm transmission lines so this amp is the one im waiting for
yet again you seem to be miles ahead of any other developer bravo
is this your latest pcb and do you have any for sale yet?

i really beleve this chip could be a contender for the hypex ncore your 3251 is great sounding my only problem is a slight lack of power to my 8ohm transmission lines so this amp is the one im waiting for
yet again you seem to be miles ahead of any other developer bravo
is this your latest pcb and do you have any for sale yet?

The 3251/3250 are contenders for giving the ncore amplifiers a run for their money but only if they are configured with the post filter feedback option.

If correctly configured this lowers the noise of the amplifier and brings it more in line with the excellent noise performance of the ncore amplifiers. Distortion wise the post filter feedback lowers the overall THD+N figure at low power levels (where noise dominates) simply by lowering the noise floor. Then as the power output increases, helps to keep distortion at the extremes of the performance range lower and reduces the impact that the inductors non-linearities will have on performance.

Of course PFFB lowers the effective output impedance by linearising the frequency response across the audio range and makes the amplifiers perform consistently regardless of the loudspeakers you connect it to.