Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D vs Class AB
Class D vs Class AB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2016, 04:33 AM   #1
mscrgn is offline mscrgn  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Default Class D vs Class AB

Which sound is better quality class d or class ab? Pls help i deal only with class ab i want to know if class d sound better thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 05:05 AM   #2
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Its much more about implementation than class.
Old 13th February 2016, 08:37 AM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No contest. Class D is efficient and as good as the saw tooth waveform used to create the output drive.
It will sound no different.
Old 13th February 2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Pafi is offline Pafi  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Class D is ... as good as the saw tooth waveform used to create the output drive.
It will sound no different.
This is true only in an oversimplified, idealised model. Output filter, feedback, layout, dead time, etc... both have more impact on quality than pureness of triangle wave (that is not even exist in many type of very good ClassD amps). In my practice the amp had the nicest triangle had the worst quality, and the best quality amp didnt use any triangle.
Old 13th February 2016, 11:05 AM   #5
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafi View Post
This is true only in an oversimplified, idealised model. Output filter, feedback, layout, dead time, etc... both have more impact on quality than pureness of triangle wave (that is not even exist in many type of very good ClassD amps). In my practice the amp had the nicest triangle had the worst quality, and the best quality amp didnt use any triangle.
Each to their own.
Old 13th February 2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Pafi is offline Pafi  Hungary
diyAudio Member

You contradicted only yourself.

Quote:
...as good as the saw tooth waveform...
Quote:
Each to their own.
First statement is a general, exact (=objective) statement (however obviously false), and then the second statement tries to subjectivise everything.
Old 13th February 2016, 03:54 PM   #7
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrgn View Post
Which sound is better quality class d or class ab? Pls help i deal only with class ab i want to know if class d sound better thanks
Sound perception is a personal thing. I would suggest get one of those cheap 3116/3118 amp boards that have received decent user feed backs and tried it out yourself. These amps are so cheap and can run off a lab top brick. Find out yourself first hand.

Up to 3-4 years ago, I never pay much attention to class D amps. And then I went to a local get together and someone (DUG) brought along a tiny 3116 amp to play and I was totally surprised by the sound. Since then I checked out a few different 3116 amps. Some sounded better than others but for the kind of expenses one has to put up, these class D amps are absolutely no brainer.

Check it out yourself. I believe you will be impressed.

Regards,
Old 15th February 2016, 11:03 AM   #8
mscrgn is offline mscrgn  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Ok thanks to all
Old 15th February 2016, 11:13 AM   #9
PetruV is offline PetruV  Romania
diyAudio Member

Only way to know is to try them out before, since everyone like slightly different things.There is no "best" amplifier.
Old 17th February 2016, 06:41 AM   #10
Dinithm is offline Dinithm  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

no differnce when listening music
class D and class AB 100% sure both same

but

scope analysis class AB is best

Class D vs Class ABHide this!Advertise here!