Class D vs Class AB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Class D is ... as good as the saw tooth waveform used to create the output drive.
It will sound no different.

This is true only in an oversimplified, idealised model. Output filter, feedback, layout, dead time, etc... both have more impact on quality than pureness of triangle wave (that is not even exist in many type of very good ClassD amps). In my practice the amp had the nicest triangle had the worst quality, and the best quality amp didnt use any triangle.

This is true only in an oversimplified, idealised model. Output filter, feedback, layout, dead time, etc... both have more impact on quality than pureness of triangle wave (that is not even exist in many type of very good ClassD amps). In my practice the amp had the nicest triangle had the worst quality, and the best quality amp didnt use any triangle.

Each to their own.

Which sound is better quality class d or class ab? Pls help i deal only with class ab i want to know if class d sound better thanks

Sound perception is a personal thing. I would suggest get one of those cheap 3116/3118 amp boards that have received decent user feed backs and tried it out yourself. These amps are so cheap and can run off a lab top brick. Find out yourself first hand.

Up to 3-4 years ago, I never pay much attention to class D amps. And then I went to a local get together and someone (DUG) brought along a tiny 3116 amp to play and I was totally surprised by the sound. Since then I checked out a few different 3116 amps. Some sounded better than others but for the kind of expenses one has to put up, these class D amps are absolutely no brainer.

Check it out yourself. I believe you will be impressed.

Regards,

there is lot different 5630 boards too,but all 5630 seem to sound better to me.

I repeat: many different 3116 modules. Some of them are proven to be a faulty design, some are audiophil upgraded. If you didn't check them both, how can you judge them generally? It's impossible to qualify them in the same group.

5630 is a different question.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Most pro sound amps are now class D. All major line array installations have class D amps built in. The savings in efficiency is huge as you don't need as big of a power mains when trying to get 50kw or 100kw of power out to the stage.

I use both class D and class AB. They both sound good when done well. My recent experience with a DIY class AB (Dx amp) that I assembled myself has surprised me with how good it sounds.

A good 3116 or 3118 may not be able to match the ultimate low HD numbers on the top class AB's, but then who can hear the difference between 0.1% THD and 0.0001%THD when the speaker is typically no better than 0.3%THD?

But at $4 or $9 or $15 for a class D amp, you have nothing to lose to try it out. If you haven't listened to a Sanwu "blue" TPA3118D2 PBTL monoblock, you are in for a treat. At $8 ea, it is one of the supreme audio values out there.

$20 to $40 IRS2092 200w amps are also very very clean sounding with exceedingly low THD.

I must have 30 amps class D and class AB, so it's fun - like tasting cheese and wine. They have little nuances. In the end, my daily use amp are two TPA3116 Ybdz with OSCON's and bootstrap snubber mod.

My second go to amp is the TDA7498 100w with 24v SMPS PS

My third go to amp is the Sanwu 3118 PBTL or a TD7298 class AB lunch money amp.

But now starting to use LM3886 and my new Dx amp - really liking the highs and the bass on them. Mids not bad either, need more critical listening.

Here is a photo of my new Dx amp running on two 19v SMPS bricks for dual rail:

531832d1455731939-class-d-vs-class-ab-dx-amp-completed.jpg

vs my Sanwu 3118 PBTL (4 channels x 60w):

525569d1453012025-tpa3116d2-amp-blu-sanwu-3118d2-heatsink-completed.png

Attachments

• Dx-amp-completed.jpg
    Dx-amp-completed.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 2,095
Last edited:
Sound perception is a personal thing. I would suggest get one of those cheap 3116/3118 amp boards that have received decent user feed backs and tried it out yourself. These amps are so cheap and can run off a lab top brick. Find out yourself first hand.
Regards,

Did exactly that.
Got the Blu Black YJ version so loved by the Forum.
It proved as a complete failure.
Huge (fightening) On/ Off noises and an unresolvable ever present hiss.
The thing is in the parts box, a stop over point on it's way to the dumpster.
And yess.. I had some small familiarity with Chip amps over the past few years, having point to point DIYed one and even own a YJ ta 2020 ;) board which is actually quite decent.
Caveat Emptor Kids just cuz it's widely babbled about, it doesn't actually follow that it's as claimed... at least every time.

I repeat: many different 3116 modules. Some of them are proven to be a faulty design, some are audiophil upgraded. If you didn't check them both, how can you judge them generally? It's impossible to qualify them in the same group.

5630 is a different question.

i am sorry i dont dig "audiophile" components,this thread being clasd vs ab is very general so i am saying my general experience. have tried few failed and few very good implementations of 3116 ,always had bad sound and everyone could recognize that class d is playing, on other hand 5630 i managed to fool few trained ears into thinking its regular amp playing on mid/high channels. so yes i used 5630 from 50w/channel to 300w/channel for small bins and only have words of good . so yes 5630 is working better overall,altough more complicated pcb,so thats different one is working other is not power and complexity aside

Did exactly that.
Got the Blu Black YJ version so loved by the Forum.
It proved as a complete failure.
Huge (fightening) On/ Off noises and an unresolvable ever present hiss.
The thing is in the parts box, a stop over point on it's way to the dumpster.
And yess.. I had some small familiarity with Chip amps over the past few years, having point to point DIYed one and even own a YJ ta 2020 ;) board which is actually quite decent.
Caveat Emptor Kids just cuz it's widely babbled about, it doesn't actually follow that it's as claimed... at least every time.

Well, that YJ blue/black was actually the worst of the bunch of 3116 that I tried. Even the first YJ red board sounded better. I bought one, listened it for 5-10 minutes and put it away. My original plan was to mod it but I decided it was not worth it. By the way, there are at least two versions of this board. The noise issue that you experienced was most likely due to poor implementation (crappy parts etc.).

I have better luck with other two 3116 boards (the Audiobah green and the SMKN) that I bought. I have compared them side by side with my Bryston class AB amp. At typical listening level, the differences in sound is small and the 3116 boards were very enjoyable. Noise is not an issue and no pop when turn on/off. I do not know what kind of PSU you used. My experience was that some SMPS causes more noise than others.

I am sure that the owners of the Ncore will say that their class D amps kick butts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.