Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D vs Class AB
Class D vs Class AB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2016, 02:11 AM   #21
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitonitoni View Post
i find tas5630 modules are a lot better sound than 3116 ,even on same laptop psu. more expensive yes but lot better
Isn't tas5630 also class D??
Old 18th February 2016, 03:31 AM   #22
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrgn View Post
Which sound is better quality class d or class ab? Pls help i deal only with class ab i want to know if class d sound better thanks
It may very well depend partly on your speakers, but with mine, the Parasound Halo A23 which run class A to 20ish watts sound identical to the ICEPower 250ASP's.

Given that, the 250s have 2x the power and 1/5th the wasted energy in heat.

Best,

Erik
Old 18th February 2016, 03:43 AM   #23
shanghai2004 is online now shanghai2004  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Class D vs Class AB
Default Huge difference in class-D implementations

Hi,

There is a huge difference between the various class-D implementations. Far more noticeable then between various class-AB amps. There is no universal 'class-D sound'.

In my experience properly designed amps with the IRS 2092 / IRS-20957 and now the new TPA3251 it is hard to hear differences compared to a good class-AB amp. There might be some difference when the output level is very high, close to clipping.

On the other side, some of the older class-D chips have close to 1% distortion above 10 kHz and don't sound good in critical listening.

For the ready to use boards in the market, I like the 100% iraudamp7s clones, they sound good, don't black-out the neighbor's TV reception and have lots of power. Their noise level is a bit high so less suitable for very efficient speakers or near field listening but great for anything else. There are also a few really poor boards with the IRS-2092 available on-line, so some checking is needed before buying.

The TPA3251 has far less noise, but I'm not aware of any 'ready to use' boards with this chip in the market.

Hopefully helpful.
Old 18th February 2016, 04:08 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinithm View Post
no differnce when listening music
class D and class AB 100% sure both same

but

scope analysis class AB is best
Sorry, your wrong. Rather, a good digital is pretty good! but I'm sure that some one makes a crappy digital one too. I remember the early Jeff Rowland digital amplifiers. Great googly moogly. Compressed and sibilant to a point of being unbearable.

This is like saying all women are better at politics than men. There's good men and bad women and all sorts in between.

I will say though that I'm trading in my good A/AB for ICEPower 250ASPs and in this case with these speakers, I hear no difference. However my tweeters are almost purely resistive. I could imagine situations with different tweeters or ESL's where the same might not be true. Still, I don't need to have amps that are perfect in every situation. Just so long as they are perfect here for me with my current speakers. Still, I would not be so arrogant, or unscientific, as to make such broad statements that all digital are better than all AB, or vice versa.

If you could assure me that digital amplifiers were free of human greed and stupidity it would make it easier to agree to your position though. That alone means I would expect quite a bit of variability in implementations. As far as I know, there really isn't much of an agreement as to what makes a Class D amplifier is there? Or are all those parts completely standardized?

But, when done well, for me right now, smaller, lighter and lower power consumption for same listening experience beats AB.

Best,

Erik

Last edited by eriksquires; 18th February 2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 18th February 2016, 06:09 PM   #25
noah katz is offline noah katz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
...the Parasound Halo A23 which run class A to 20ish watts sound identical to the ICEPower 250ASP's.

Given that, the 250s have 2x the power and 1/5th the wasted energy in heat.
Not really; A23 125W/ch@8 ohms and .06% THD; 250ASP is 130W/ch@ 8 ohms and 1% THD
Old 18th February 2016, 06:34 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Checked the specs. Actually you are quite right! Actually I'd say the 250 ASP is overrated based on the included charts. Still a win everywhere especially in crosstalk. I was actually wondering if I would get much better imaging since the A23's have kind of poor crosstalk figures, but no, same.
Old 18th February 2016, 06:49 PM   #27
Spaiz is offline Spaiz  Italy
diyAudio Member

my monitors now are class d amped. slightly more noisy than the ones before (same brand), but they cost 10 times less. read that again: 10 times less. and they weight 7 times less.

there's more to it than just "purity". and these are "pure" enough.
Old 18th February 2016, 07:38 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Actually I just did some reading. Apparently the ratings from B&0 are for the amps mounted "vertically in free air. Continuous output power can be improved by means of an external heat sink or forced convection"

It probably refers to the Power Specification chart alone which lists 90W as the maximum continuous output power. The Audio Specifications chart rates the output power as 130/250 and 300 Watts as the maximum at 8/4 and 2.7 Ohms respectively. A little heat sink grease and a fan and we can keep the party rolling!

Best,

Erik

Last edited by eriksquires; 18th February 2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 18th February 2016, 07:39 PM   #29
noah katz is offline noah katz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
I was actually wondering if I would get much better imaging since the A23's have kind of poor crosstalk figures, but no, same.
I wouldn't expect crosstalk to make any difference once it's better than 30 or 40 dB; imaging is much more dependent on the speakers, the room, and their placement therein.
Old 18th February 2016, 07:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I wouldn't expect crosstalk to make any difference once it's better than 30 or 40 dB; imaging is much more dependent on the speakers, the room, and their placement therein.
So I've read, but the crosstalk was unusually high (poor) for these amps.

Class D vs Class ABHide this!Advertise here!