What's happened to the sa-36a pro - not tpa3118? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2016, 02:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What's happened to the sa-36a pro - not tpa3118?

Hey all, new to the forum, great info here, even if you're a novice (me).

But, I am a discriminating listener, had done some research here and elsewhere and felt confident that buying a smsl sa-36a pro would be a good choice - with all the high marks given to the tpa3116/3118 chips.

When I received it, the back voltage markings were suspicious (12-15v instead of 12-24v), so I opened it up and here's what I saw: not a tpa3116/3118 but instead a TDA7492PE chip! And seams to be under-powered. I've ordered 3 now from 3 different sellers: Amazon ships and sold by, CrazyEve/Amazon, and an ebay seller sourced in China that seemed legit and shipped very fast (US warehouse probably). The latter is the one I have now. It's strange because the board is printed with sa-36a (not pro) and its NOT using the older ta2020 tripath chip.

What do you think? Is this counterfeit, or SMSL changing the build? How would it measure up against the 2014 2.1 and 2.2 versions of sa-36a pro?

This build looks like a downgrade to me, but I don't know anything, I'm looking for some wordly input from those in the know here. Thanks

2 different units opened up here with slightly different builds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa-36apro4.jpg (69.3 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg sa-36apro-ex2.jpg (66.3 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg sa-36apro3.jpg (76.3 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg sa-36apro2.jpg (48.9 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg sa-36apro1.jpg (36.6 KB, 647 views)
Old 10th February 2016, 03:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
The TDA7492P is rated to 26V so the power supply voltage limitation could come from the capacitors fitted. The second of your pics shows 16V - swap them out for 25V types. Best go for NCC KZH 2200uF (12.5mm diameter) as these have exceptionally low ESR.
Old 10th February 2016, 05:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The one I still have is the first pic with the single capacitor. Would you still recommend a pair of the NCC KZH 2200uF to replace the single? Or something else?

Also from what I've read I thought a heat sink was recommended for the tda7492. Based on what you can see on the board is it worth modding this?
Old 11th February 2016, 12:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Change up...or down

Here's what it's supposed to look like in there....

What's the verdict? Think the switch up is a counterfeit or just a change in SMSL spec?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whatitssupposedtobe.jpg (64.5 KB, 265 views)
Old 11th February 2016, 01:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbreeze View Post
The one I still have is the first pic with the single capacitor. Would you still recommend a pair of the NCC KZH 2200uF to replace the single ?
Yes - if they fit, put them in. Can't have too many caps I notice there are holes to fit two caps, be careful to get the right polarity as caps explode if you connect them up reversed.

Quote:
Also from what I've read I thought a heat sink was recommended for the tda7492. Based on what you can see on the board is it worth modding this?
From what I can see in the DS the chip has an exposed pad on the underside. There looks to be some kind of heat spreader built into the PCB which connects thermally to that pad. So I think you're probably fine.
Old 11th February 2016, 05:02 PM   #6
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

There are two versions on Amazon, make sure you get the one that says "SMSL SA-36A PRO 2* 20W TPA3118D2DAP Amp Stereo Digital Amplifier ".

Or are you saying, despite ordering one that says on Amazon it is TPA3118, you got an STI chip TDA7492?

http://www.amazon.com/SA-36A-TPA3118.../dp/B00JXCEDGS

If you got the wrong one exchange or return it.
Old 11th February 2016, 06:06 PM   #7
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes smsl (ali) is selling a 36a with pro frontplate, so something changed in their routemap, it was intended to be a 36a, the pcb shows. One can only speculate, was it landslide related maybe etc Looks like all new smsl simple amps are 7492 btw, the a2, mini5 and 36a (pro), so they probably bought a lot of those
Old 11th February 2016, 07:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
There are two versions on Amazon, make sure you get the one that says "SMSL SA-36A PRO 2* 20W TPA3118D2DAP Amp Stereo Digital Amplifier ".

Or are you saying, despite ordering one that says on Amazon it is TPA3118, you got an STI chip TDA7492?

Amazon.com: SMSL SA-36A PRO 2* 20W TPA3118D2DAP Amp Stereo Digital Amplifier + 12V Power Adapter: Electronics

If you got the wrong one exchange or return it.
Yes I've ordered and returned 2 already from Amazon, one of them was from your example CrazyEve. The 3rd try was from ebay (single cap image in op). I was even comparing Amazon's ASIN number to see if that would help. Amazon's listings for this product are a mess - on some the product header says one chip, but the description says another chip, and the pictures may show a different version again.

If this is legit (whatever that means), the only online vendor I can see that has corrected their listing is shenzhenaudio I emailed for details and they did not respond.
SMSL SA-36A Pro 20WPC TDA7492PE Digital Amplifier + Power Adapter - Professional Audio Store - Shenzhenaudio.com

I'm guessing the resellers don't know, the only evidence is the 12-15v marking on the back.
Old 11th February 2016, 07:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irribeo View Post
Yes smsl (ali) is selling a 36a with pro frontplate, so something changed in their routemap, it was intended to be a 36a, the pcb shows. One can only speculate, was it landslide related maybe etc Looks like all new smsl simple amps are 7492 btw, the a2, mini5 and 36a (pro), so they probably bought a lot of those
I thought the sa-36a (not pro) was older generation, using the TA2020 chip. This almost looks like their pulling whatever's laying around in the bin.....
Old 12th February 2016, 05:24 PM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Now I wonder if I should crack my 36a pro open to see if I got the right one. That would void the warranty tamper sticker though. Mine is marked 24v on the case but they sent a 12v supply even though I ordered the 24v version. Amazon credited my $10 for the difference in PS.

Hide this!Advertise here!