Bottom of ICEPower 250 ASP? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2016, 04:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bottom of ICEPower 250 ASP?

Hi Everyone,

I received 3 amps from Parts Express. At least one ended up being a little beaten up, with a broken small cap, and other signs of poor shipping preparations. Also, oddly, they came with cable sets making me believe these amps were being prepared to go into some maker's amps.

I have a question though. On the bottom there are long, 1" wide strips that would prevent the aluminum heat sink on the bottom from making direct contact with the cabinet. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Erik
Old 9th February 2016, 07:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's all a moot point. At least 2 of the amplifiers arrived with dented caps, they're all going back.
Old 9th February 2016, 05:17 PM   #3
JND is offline JND  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ICEPower250ASP

I bought a pair too, I wish they had said in the ad that they were pulls. My guess is that these were originally in a powered sub, and that the material on the bottom was to prevent rattle. I have yet to test mine, likely this weekend.
Old 15th February 2016, 02:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JND View Post
I bought a pair too, I wish they had said in the ad that they were pulls. My guess is that these were originally in a powered sub, and that the material on the bottom was to prevent rattle. I have yet to test mine, likely this weekend.
Well, PE Is being nice enough to replace them, but I already fixed one of them. I ordered 10x of the 0.820uF/100VDC caps in expectations more would be broken, and I was right!

I could not find matching caps in low quantities so I've ended up ordering Panasonics instead. A little work with the pliers and in they went.

I did order 3 cases from Ghentaudio. Super nice, quick (for coming from Shanghai) mostly perfect, but a few odd things here and there. Still,nothing my girlfriends would notice.

At the price, of $99 per board and $160/case it's a steal.

I may in fact end up doing all 5 channels this way. I was kind of thinking maybe I'd do ICEPower for 3, and Hypex nCore for the L and R, but really, these are great foe me. Perhaps for other speakers there would be a big difference.

Best,

Erik

Last edited by eriksquires; 15th February 2016 at 02:30 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!