Class D/T in the wild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have the following problem : have a small piece of wild land with no water (this is not the problem here, Spain is a bit dry) nor any kind of electricity, so in the small cabin I built myself I'm using a car battery with 12V leds for lightning.

Before you ask, no possibility of solar or wind energy, things would disappear quick.
So my "space" is limited to a car battery environment; when the battery goes down have to bring it back home to charge again.

Now I'd like to listen to some music, have a nice broadband high efficiency speakers, a phone (read Spotify), so would need a bluetooth module (not the problem here) + a good sounding AND efficient amplifier.
I'm thinking about TA2025 or TA2050 board because they need 3-4A (probably I'd use only first 5-10W), but would like to have your opinion and suggestions :

a) would a Tripath like these be best combination of good sound and best efficiency in terms of battery use? Like this for example :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/J34-Free-Shipping-TK2050-50W-50W-Dual-Channel-Class-T-HIFI-Stereo-Audio-Digital-Amplifier-Board/32436103376.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_3,searchweb201644_3_79_78_77_82_80_62_81,searchweb201560_1

b) are there best alternatives?

Thanks for the help and happy 2016

Last edited:
a) would a Tripath like these be best combination of good sound and best efficiency in terms of battery use?

b) are there best alternatives?

Happy 2016!

Now to your question: if I were you, I'd go with PAM8403 - you can get them for less than $1 on ebay, something like this:
PAM8403 Ultra Miniature Digital Power Amplifier Board Class D 2CHANNELSX3W HC | eBay

It is only 2x3W, but that's quite loud with modestly efficient speakers: what's best, it runs on 5V.
I've had that amp run for a week (all day long, about 12 hrs a day) on 4 rechargeable 1,5V batteries (actually, they're about 1,2V, so 4 of them are just right).
So, avoid messing with 12V car battery, use 4 rechargeable AA batteries ("Eneloop" brand recommended, they're excellent, I use 2.000 mAh ones - a bit more expensive, but well worth it).

Try one of those amps, I think it will be loud enough - although it's not exactly hi-fi, the sound is actually really good... you might be surprised....
Combined with a small solar AA battery charger, it may prove to be all you need...

BTW, another, perhaps more practical option, is to power the PAM8403 amp via a "power bank" - those rechargeable packs used for mobile phones :)
Use something of about 5000 mAh (again from ebay), and again combine it with some kind of portable solar charger... should give you a lot more options (you could also use it to juice up your mobile phone).

Don't you love it how technology has become accessible and cheap?
:)

Thing like these were science fiction 15-20 years ago :) - although I remember using rechargeable AA batteries to power my portable cassette player/radio, and recharging those batteries using a pocket solar charger - some 20 years ago...
It's only that the technology has become better and cheaper: an mp3 player (or a smartphone as a music source) needs a lot less power to play music than a portable cassette player/Walkman :)

Something like this? :

Yes, that should be quite OK - with the added convenience of having an integrated solar cell...
Can't say much about charging efficiency - but it's cheap enough to get one and try it out. It might take quite a while to charge the battery, though, judging from the solar cell size (0.88W power...)

But, 5000 mAh should be enough to drive the amp for days and days....

T-amps are a bit more expensive, but still dirt cheap, relatively speaking. Search ebay for TA2020 or TA2024. Also, there's Yamaha's YDA148, less popular but has some better features, although I don't know which if any boards actually bother to implement the good functions like the built-in clipping prevention.

Keep in mind that with music, average power consumption will be much less than the peak power, so a 10 watt amp will probably use less than one watt on average, even when played very loud.

Well, considering you said you are using a car battery, I assume you need this to function for many days. So if I were you I'd get a power bank like this:
Aukey Quick Charge 2.0 10000mAh Portable External Battery Fast Charger (20W/5V 9V 12V Quick Charger power bank for S6 5 iphone6s-in Power Bank from Phones & Telecommunications on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or even this:
Top Quality 23000mAh 5V 9V 12V 16V 19V Solar Panel Mobile Power Bank Charger Battery-in Solar Panel from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

the second one especially, because it also is much bigger and has a solar charger. Not much, but in need it can be useful. I think it has a 2.25W solar charging ability.

And use a highly efficient amp such as this:

A96 Free Shipping 12V Mini Hi Fi PAM8610 2X10W Dual Channel D Class Stereo Audio Board Amplifier-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or even a 3116 based one, because it also has nice efficiency, like this:
Free Shipping TPA3116 Amplifier Board(50W+50W ) D Class Amplifier Board The left and right channels-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group.

You also need a speaker with high efficiency, I'd recommend using something "pro" like
FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 4FE35

wich has 91dB, so I'd use one per channel and get some nice sound out of it. Or, if portability is not paramount, get a TB W5-1611SAF and a bigger box and have some bass too.
http://www.tb-speaker.com/en/products/detail/189

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.