Need help choosing modules for multi channel amp on the cheap. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Need help choosing modules for multi channel amp on the cheap.

I want six channels of amplification for an active three-way speaker system. All my amplifier builds have, so far, been big, classA, space heaters. I need something smaller and cheaper for this application. I am quite ignorant about class d but it seems like just the ticket. Reading thread after thread is getting a bit tiresome, there is just so much here.

I want to get this done quick so I would like to use modules not full diy. I don't need much power, 100W/ch should suffice. I was eyeing a couple options on the Sure electronics web store, one is a 100W 3116 module and the other a 2x125W irs2092 module. I looked at connex also but the prices at sure are more agreeable with my budget. A power supply recommendation would be a big help too.
TIA.

P.S. I hate typing on the iPad, my wife is using my laptop for something lame(I'm sure), And I'm being accosted by my four year old with a case of ants-in-the-pants, so my post is probably missing some pertinent info but I hope it's enough to get the ball rolling.
Old 4th December 2015, 03:36 PM   #2
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

You cant go wrong with the Sure boards for a cheap simple solution out of the box.

I have a couple of the "blue" TPA3116 boards from ebay (like $15 shipped each) that work great too. Both run from a spare laptop power supply I had kicking around ~19V.

I built a 2 channel amp using the DIY boards from "DUG" and they sound amazing in PBTL mode - one chip driving one channel.

I gotta say the TPA3116 is a really sweet sounding chip.
Old 4th December 2015, 04:00 PM   #3
natget is offline natget  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

But tpa3116 is 50 watt 4 ohm with 24V psu.
Old 4th December 2015, 04:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkpkg View Post
I have a couple of the "blue" TPA3116 boards from ebay (like $15 shipped each) that work great too. Both run from a spare laptop power supply I had kicking around ~19V.

I gotta say the TPA3116 is a really sweet sounding chip.
I understand that Class D places special demands on power supplies. Comment?

Despite trying to escape elderly person stereotyping, I remain cautious about Class D*. Any measurements... besides those from the manufacturer?

Ben
*OK, I have a bunch of Kenwood "Basic" Class G amps driving ESLs. Great stuff.
Old 4th December 2015, 04:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

6x Hypex UcD180 with one SMPS1200 would good
Old 4th December 2015, 04:58 PM   #6
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

What you don't mention is critical . . . the drivers you will be using, their sensitivity, and the maximum SPL you are seeking from the system. In an active speaker the amps should be chosen to suit the drivers . . .

TPA3116 should be adequate (and will sound fine) with most tweeters (which will never produce the system maximum SPL. Put them on their own power supply.

For the mids and woofers use any of the several "reference design" IRS2092 boards. They will give the power you need where you need it, and will sound fine. Either a single big supply for all four channels (with proper attention to load isolation) or separate supplies for each board will work (PSRR is good enough to not matter) but I'd favor separate . . . it makes the load ground returns easier to manage.

Class A sound (no zero-crossing distortion) without the thermal waste. It's amazing what scarcely $100 (not counting power supplies) will buy these days . . .
Old 4th December 2015, 05:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
I understand that Class D places special demands on power supplies. Comment?
Not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
I remain cautious about Class D*. Any measurements... besides those from the manufacturer?
Regarding the IRS2092 board anyway they pretty much all deliver exactly what the manufacturer data sheet says, and sound like the best Class A. For woofers and mids in an active system there is nothing better at any price.
Old 4th December 2015, 05:23 PM   #8
natget is offline natget  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

all tpa and 2092 (not chocoholic) amps have heavy load/speaker dependant frequency respons/ behavior, Hypex ea will be far more predictable
Old 4th December 2015, 05:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Not correct.
I am sorry my honest question did not merit a respectful reply.

(And besides, Rod Elliott says otherwise*.)

Ben
*http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwm.htm

Last edited by bentoronto; 4th December 2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 4th December 2015, 06:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natget View Post
all tpa and 2092 (not chocoholic) amps have heavy load/speaker dependant frequency respons/ behavior
Makes no difference at all for the woofer and mids in a multi-way active system, and is so easily compensated for the tweeter (if it needs to be) that it's a trivial "issue" there as well. What Hypex brings to the table is the ability to drive poorly designed crossovers . . . but that's not an issue here . . .

Hide this!Advertise here!