Need help choosing modules for multi channel amp on the cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This

For a SS Discovery 3 way you don't need that much more power than what the 3116 can deliver as you will hit xmax on the woofer with probably circa 40 watts. To start with, get qnty 3 of the TPA3116's. Connect them to your DSP and listen - if you feel like you lack power in the bass department get a bigger amp for the woofers. The mids and tweeter have enough from a 3116.

If you want good components out of the box, get the SMSL boxed amp TPA3116D2. If you want to budget but great sound, get the Ybdz 3116 from Aliexpress for $15 ea.

Online Shop Free Shipping! 1pc TPA3116 Class D digital amplifier 50W +50 W with Silent Sleep Design|Aliexpress Mobile

I use those with my minidsp setup and there is very little they can't drive for domestic use. I ran out of steam trying to power a dual 12in open baffle woofer. But that was it. Most of the time I have enough power.

For more power the IRS2092 is good but requires dual rail supply.

The nature is class D is that it switches on and off so a switching supply, as long as switch noise is of order 400kHz same as amp - is not going to be audible.

Thanks for helpful reply and thoughts about battery supply - but I'm still hoping somebody with deep cred in Class D electronics will speak up.

While it is true that addressing the high switching frequency is a piece of cake for a power supply, "the nature" of Class D to be efficient. That means drawing little power from the power supply when idling and lotsa power when needed. The sort of thing a battery is ideal for. In that way, anybody except dewardh who seem definitely over his head in this discussion would understand it differs dramatically from the power requirements of Class A and AB amps (which have to deal mostly with ripple).

Ben

"the nature" of Class D to be efficient. That means drawing little power from the power supply when idling and lotsa power when needed.
Rather like Class AB, where the output stage draws only minimal bias current at idle, and "lotsa power when needed". There is, in fact, no practical difference in the power supply requirement of Class AB and Class D for any given maximum power output. Class A is a different beast, since idle current equals maximum output current.

Batteries, while necessary for portable equipment (wireless mics etc.) or in cars (where they will provide power to a switching supply that actually delivers power to the amp), have exactly no advantage in amplifier power supplies. Hum in any well designed amplifier does not come from power supply ripple, but from ground loops at the input. All the amplifiers discussed so far have more than adequate PSRR to work properly with any decent linear or switching supply of adequate capacity for the desired output power. Hum from ground loops or induced in signal lines is the same regardless amplifier output stage topology and is eliminated in the same ways.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.